Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/)
-   -   False Fuel economy (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/false-fuel-economy-7458/)

Dennis 05-20-2006 04:18 PM

False Fuel economy

HI:

My name is Dennis and I purchased a FWD FEH without the navigation package in January. Thanks to this, and other forums, I've learned how to get pretty good mileage. The only tool I have is the average economy gauge which I have found to be remarkably accurate. My last tank, thanks to a road trip to the Oregon coast was over 37 MPG. (as GeekGal said "Woo Hoo")

However, most of my driving consists of short trips to run errands. These are real mileage killers since they are with a cold car. I try to combine trips as much as possible but still…..

Anyway, with that background, let me get to the point. Yesterday I had to go to the drug store to pick up a prescription. The store is about 2 miles away downhill. The ice has just shut off as I pulled into the parking lot and my average econ had dropped from 34.5 to about 31. So instead of driving straight home, I took a ten mile circular route which allowed me to get the gauge back up to 34. It wasn't until later I realized how silly I had been. I drove an unneeded ten miles and wasted about a bucks worth of gas just to have a good number on a gauge. That is true false fuel economy.

gonavy 05-20-2006 05:50 PM

Re: False Fuel economy

Welcome- sounds like you have picked up some tips already, based on what you wrote!

We have the same problem (no instant feedback) in the non-navi HAH.

The temptation to cruise around to get a average up is present, but just remember its the average for that tank- there will be others. Burning more than is necessary just to make an arbitarry number appear, as you realized, is simply wasting fuel.

The name of the game is to use as little fuel as is necesary- regardless of the MPGs you got. That is, 35 miles driven at 35mpg is still using more fuel than 25 miles to get to the same place at 30 mpg. Of course, there are times when a longer route does use less fuel, especially in Hondas that can't use low-speed EV mode.

bwilson4web 05-20-2006 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis
. . . Anyway, with that background, let me get to the point. Yesterday I had to go to the drug store to pick up a prescription. The store is about 2 miles away downhill. The ice has just shut off as I pulled into the parking lot and my average econ had dropped from 34.5 to about 31. So instead of driving straight home, I took a ten mile circular route which allowed me to get the gauge back up to 34. It wasn't until later I realized how silly I had been. I drove an unneeded ten miles and wasted about a bucks worth of gas just to have a good number on a gauge. That is true false fuel economy.

Your problem is obvious . . . the drug store is too close. Find a cheaper one a little further away.

Bob Wilson

gpsman1 05-20-2006 11:00 PM

Bob- You're a funny guy! :shade:

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Your problem is obvious . . . the drug store is too close. Find a cheaper one a little further away.

Bob Wilson

Pravus Prime 05-22-2006 03:00 PM

Welcome to GH, enjoy your hybrid!

IMAhybrid 05-25-2006 07:41 PM

Your problem is obvious . . . the drug store is too close.

Ride a bike! ;)

WVGasGuy 05-26-2006 08:45 AM

I'll admit to running the numbers up on my Camry Hybrid. I "coast" a lap around town on electric after filling up because I live on a steep hill which kills my apparent FE on a new tank and I hate having a low mpg number on my tank gage when I put her away at night. However I don't burn gas in this process so perhaps cheating a little is OK?

Sledge 05-26-2006 09:10 AM

Bob Wilson

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a...54/rimshot.gif