Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/)
-   -   Hello (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/hello-11514/)

flatlandtacoma 12-20-2006 01:23 PM

Hello

Well, no hybrid here. Just an average joe with an interest in saving fuel in a not particularly fuel efficient vehicle.

I am especially interested in easy/cheap/free mods & techniques that can save fuel, and I don't mind experimenting on my paid-for pickup truck. For the winter and my 7 mile commute I have blocked most of my grille opening, changed to a lighter GF-4 starburst oil, and am trying to perfect the pulse and glide on a non-hybrid. I also picked up a scanguage II to help see my results and a stick on oil pan heater that I haven't installed yet.

Well, don't know how much I will post, but I enjoy reading here and thought I would say hi.

Pravus Prime 12-20-2006 04:06 PM

Re: Hello

Welcome to GH!

ag4ever 12-27-2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by flatlandtacoma (Post 103531)
trying to perfect the pulse and glide on a non-hybrid.

Unless you have a way of shutting off fuel flow to the engine and stopping the engine from turning to keep it from causeing you to slow down due to compression type drag, you would probably be better off just trying to keep a steady constant fuel burn. Not a constant speed, as going up hills you want to loose some speed, and going down the other side you want to gain some.

JimboK 12-27-2006 02:13 PM

Welcome, flatland! You might consider this site too:

www.cleanmpg.com

It's not hybrid-specific and many non-hybrid owners hang there. You'll find many useful tips on driving for maximum efficiency irrespective of the vehicle.

bwilson4web 12-27-2006 02:28 PM

Welcome,

Originally Posted by flatlandtacoma (Post 103531)
Well, no hybrid here. Just an average joe with an interest in saving fuel in a not particularly fuel efficient vehicle.

I am especially interested in easy/cheap/free mods & techniques that can save fuel, and I don't mind experimenting on my paid-for pickup truck. For the winter and my 7 mile commute I have blocked most of my grille opening, changed to a lighter GF-4 starburst oil, and am trying to perfect the pulse and glide on a non-hybrid. I also picked up a scanguage II to help see my results and a stick on oil pan heater that I haven't installed yet.

Well, don't know how much I will post, but I enjoy reading here and thought I would say hi.

Non-hybrid car mileage can be recorded and kept here and having mileage records can lead to useful insights. This is also a good time to mention CleanMPG.com, which specializes in driver skills and non-hybrids getting improved mileage. Except for record events when they use a hybrid, they are enthused about how well their techniques work in non-hybrid cars.

Driving a hybrid is unique because of the ability to go into Electric Vehicle (EV) mode or use of powerful electric systems to augment vehicle performance. Some of our hybrids are extensively computer controlled with the accellerator being just an input to a control computer. On my 03 Prius, there is no mechanical linkage to the throttle. This leads to a number of hybrid unique techniques that are difficult, even impossible, to replicate on non-hybrids.

Still, if you stick around, look through the archives and ask, you'll find a lot of technical details about our vehicles. Folks here are mostly friendly, in part, thanks to our moderator team. The S/N ratio is high.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

CCRGMac 12-27-2006 05:12 PM

Unless you have a way of shutting off fuel flow to the engine and stopping the engine from turning to keep it from causeing you to slow down due to compression type drag, you would probably be better off just trying to keep a steady constant fuel burn.

Of course, with a stick shift you can just hold the clutch in.

ag4ever 01-02-2007 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CCRGMac (Post 104177)
Unless you have a way of shutting off fuel flow to the engine and stopping the engine from turning to keep it from causeing you to slow down due to compression type drag, you would probably be better off just trying to keep a steady constant fuel burn.

Of course, with a stick shift you can just hold the clutch in.

But the engine will continue to idle, wasting fuel, but you won't slow down as much so it is better than an automatic.