Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

110 MPG in a Prius

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 110 MPG in a Prius

Originally Posted by Schwa
If you used a Canadian Prius for the run, it could have been completely stock because we measure fuel consumption vs. the US/Japan fuel efficiency display.
Very true!

I look at it this way. If I modify a car I expect something to improve after installation. Likewise I would expect it to see the improvement disappear when the modification was removed. I have since removed the SuperMid and sent it back to Yoshi. But I can still get 110 MPG, even without it.

To me, that doesn't qualify as a Mod.

Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by Schwa
If you used a Canadian Prius for the run, it could have been completely stock because we measure fuel consumption vs. the US/Japan fuel efficiency display.
Can't you switch units in the Prius? My HCH has a button to change mph and mpg into kph and l/100 km.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nope. But there is a button to switch the speedo from MPH to KmH. I used to switch to kmh to freak out my wife. It doesn't work on her any more. :-(

Old 02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
04 prius 350,000km

i thought japan did the L/100 k too?

hey kroousdb, do you still get 50 mpg with your honda del sol? what on earth do you do?!?! don't tell me you force auto stop on her too!!?!

Old 02-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
Oddly enough they use km/L.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by krousdb
Nope. But there is a button to switch the speedo from MPH to KmH. I used to switch to kmh to freak out my wife. It doesn't work on her any more. :-(
LMAO~

I did something like that to my ex in 99', she was helping her mother move some stuff and the truck needed gas.
I told her to check the transmission fluid, She & her mother and a station attendant looked fo 20min until a passer by informed them it was a manual and there wasn't a dip stick.........

Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by krousdb
Very true!

I look at it this way. If I modify a car I expect something to improve after installation. Likewise I would expect it to see the improvement disappear when the modification was removed. I have since removed the SuperMid and sent it back to Yoshi. But I can still get 110 MPG, even without it.

To me, that doesn't qualify as a Mod.
Well i guess it comes down to the use of language. While I might call the SuperMID an accessory instead of a mod I wouldn't call the car that was used completely stock which is the implication of un-modified. The fact that you have now learned how to do it without the SuperMID is not relevent. I look at it like this. Bikes are "modified" with training wheels which are always taken off after the rider learns to balance without them. What can be achieved after learning is not the point. The point is that training wheels do help many children learn to ride a bike. Of course a bike can be ridden without training wheels and of course someone can learn to ride a bike without using training wheels. The point (IMO) is that you all did use SuperMID and according to Dave it made a big difference over a stock display. Perhaps you disagree with Dave?

Anyway it really does not matter and perhaps we might need to agree to disagree on this item.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lakedude
Well i guess it comes down to the use of language. While I might call the SuperMID an accessory instead of a mod I wouldn't call the car that was used completely stock which is the implication of un-modified. The fact that you have now learned how to do it without the SuperMID is not relevent. I look at it like this. Bikes are "modified" with training wheels which are always taken off after the rider learns to balance without them. What can be achieved after learning is not the point. The point is that training wheels do help many children learn to ride a bike. Of course a bike can be ridden without training wheels and of course someone can learn to ride a bike without using training wheels. The point (IMO) is that you all did use SuperMID and according to Dave it made a big difference over a stock display. Perhaps you disagree with Dave?

Anyway it really does not matter and perhaps we might need to agree to disagree on this item.
I agree with your position that the SuperMID made it possible to know the efficiency over 100 MPG, and like the MFD in general it enables the driver to make changes based on instant feedback, but I think it's on the border because if someone shipped him a Canadian MFD instead of the SuperMID (or used a Canadian Prius for the event) it could have been completely stock as far as that is concerned... I'd argue that the exact same thing could have been done in a totally stock Canadian Prius, so therefore to call the one they used stock seems reasonable to me, although technically of course you are correct.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Ok this is getting silly, but I'd call adding a Canadian MFD to a US spec Prius a mod as well. I tend to agree that a Canadian Prius could have been drivin completely stock with results similar or equal to what the SMID equipped US spec Prius achieved.

Last edited by lakedude; 02-18-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal

hey kroousdb, do you still get 50 mpg with your honda del sol? what on earth do you do?!?! don't tell me you force auto stop on her too!!?!
Yes, the del Sol is now my daily driver. The good fuel economy can also be had on a non-hybrid too, even in the winter! When you look at the two cars, each has advantages and disadvantages. No, the Honda doesn't have regen capabilities, but it does weigh about 700 lbs less than the Prius. Since it is a manual transmission, I can shut off the engine and coast nearly as far as in the Prius, and then drop into 4th and bump start again. Yes, FAS works just fine in a non hybrid.

I am waiting for the SuperMID to arrive for it so I can improve the FE even more. Right now I use a DMM to measure the resistance in my fuel tank sensor and have calibrated the the readings to fuel useage. Currently I am at 445 miles, 52.0 MPG. For more details about the digital fuel gauge see:

http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic...uel_gauge.html

For more details about the del Sol, see:

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/quench.html

After learning the best way to drive the del Sol with help from SuperMID, I will take it to the next level, modifying the ecu programming to simulate lean burn. Lots of fun in store for this summer. Im targeting 60 MPG.

Quick Reply: 110 MPG in a Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands