Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

$4 gasoline is coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $4 gasoline is coming

Originally Posted by gumby
Indeed, And they often have unofficial "deadlines". They better get there by then - or face not getting the next gig.
My solution to speeding semis is simple: Instead of loading, let's say in LA and driving all the way to Chicago, organize a relay run. Three hundred miles and the trailer goes onto some other guy's tractor, etc.

That driver can either take a return haul to LA or wait for the next 300
mile up the line.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Ah, but what about them RV's? I'm in the Mt. Rushmore KOA - this place is hugh! Today I've watched the masses head in for the Memorial Day R&R. I talked to a man from S. Illinois, asked what he was getting - 9 mpg! And he's towing a '99 Saturn. Some of these guys are towing SUV's!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 PM
no more oil
Thumbs down Re: $4 gasoline is coming

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
The average Joe hates spending so much money on fuel. He knows how much better his situation would be if he'd drive more efficiently but won't change his habits. Even if confronted with facts and figures he still considers it his god-given right to consume as much as his pleasure. It is not rational or logical.

Exactly the same as an illicit drug user.

For all of us on the wagon we can see that this world needs detoxification.
How to accomplish that is not clear. $4/g isn't going to do it. The politician who lowers speed limits would get run out of town. Raise CARB is fine until the auto maker lobby secreams loud enough. If CARB didn't sell us out 20 years ago with repealing the non-emission mandate who knows how much better we'd be today.

It's hard to deal with gas junkies who have been on crack since they were 16.
This is probably one of the most difficult posts I have ever read.

We all love our hybrids. This is why we ponied up the extra cash to purchase them. But to say someone REFUSES to change their driving habits = a hard core drug addict junkie is just insane.

Buying as much gasoline as they want .... How is this ILLEGAL?

How does this = VILE UNLOVED PATHETC AND WORSE THAN US CRACK HEADS

It mind boggling. Perhaps they have never had to change their driving habits to squeeze a few extra MPG . If they cared so much about the enviroment, they would have long ago bought a hybrid or carpooled and changed their habits all on their own. Perhaps they car pool, or like us , drive 5000 miles a year, or better yet, ride a bike, saving more for the enviroment you can ever imagine way up on your pedestal.

Most likely, they look into hybrids -and are told by different articles that the savings is nowhere near the EPA, are OVER PRICED , and hybrids are a 'scam' so they keep driving their regular car.

You make it seem like they all know better, and INSIST on it, no matter what, and CANNOT STOP in spite of someone having a gun to their head or their spouse leaving them or their children running away -like drug addicts do.

They go from gas station to gas station, then just leave their engine on, all in hopes of running out of gas so they can get their next 'rush' filling up their friggin tank again. The more the merrier. 5 times a day, even 10!!!

I would suggest you are as insane as the very people you are trying to describe.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomdavie
I would suggest you are as insane as the very people you are trying to describe.
Hot Georgia is probably one of the most even-tempered hypermilers I met at HybridFest. He also words posts more tactfully than myself and many others advocating driving for better fuel economy. He is far removed from an insane person

Originally Posted by tomdavie
...You make it seem like they (gas guzzling drivers) all know better, and INSIST on it, no matter what, and CANNOT STOP in spite of someone having a gun to their head or their spouse leaving them or their children running away -like drug addicts do....
Can you explain why things like charging at stop lights and other aggressive driving actions require education, for these people to realize they are doing? Steve is saying it's a behaviorial problem - they know they are wasting gas and money, but feel compeled to do it anyway and may even feel threatened at people who don't join.

If this was someone paying out of their own pocket for ruining their own health, I would not care much, but excessive gas consumption screws up the economy and environment for all of us.

From time to time, a few members get into a rant about being "fanatically" green, hypermiling, etc...it's my obversation the offended tend to look at that hybrid thingy as a cure all that will absolve bad driving and/or choosing oversized vehicles. I'm not necessaryily say it applies here...if the shoe fits.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Hot Georgia is probably one of the most even-tempered hypermilers I met at HybridFest. He also words posts more tactfully than myself and many others advocating driving for better fuel economy. He is far removed from an insane person

Can you explain why things like charging at stop lights and other aggressive driving actions require education, for these people to realize they are doing? Steve is saying it's a behaviorial problem - they know they are wasting gas and money, but feel compeled to do it anyway and may even feel threatened at people who don't join.

If this was someone paying out of their own pocket for ruining their own health, I would not care much, but excessive gas consumption screws up the economy and environment for all of us.

From time to time, a few members get into a rant about being "fanatically" green, hypermiling, etc...it's my obversation the offended tend to look at that hybrid thingy as a cure all that will absolve bad driving and/or choosing oversized vehicles. I'm not necessaryily say it applies here...if the shoe fits.
A lot of behavior is inexplicable. People smoke. Why? As a former smoker, it certainly seemed/seems irrational to me. Driving habits - certainly seem irrational. But as a former smoker, no smoker wants to hear how great you feel since stopping.

No driver of a gas guzzler wants to hear your rant and rave about how great your Prius is.

Cool it. None of those drivers are behaving like drug additcs. And people who beat the drum, much like Cary Nation and alcohol, only make them dig in their heels.

Last edited by centrider; 05-30-2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

In my town, you can get E85 which is "almost" the same as gas for $2.49 a galllon. To bad my FEH cannot use E85, else I would use it!

FWIW I bought a 100% EV today. I can do my 18 mile commute now for about 6 cents. You may wish to consider what I did if you are a single person commuter.

I got an electric scooter! It's pretty cool. Accelerates quick, takes hills fine, and recharges in 6-8 hours. I may even use solar to charge it.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by centrider
No driver of a gas guzzler wants to hear your rant and rave about how great your Prius is.
Do you think before you type? - I drive an Insight. Are you suggesting it's taboo to "rave" about hybrids here?

Also, tonight I was not discussing my car, it was reponding to an attack on Hot Georgia.

Please take your own advice and cool it on the bait.

Congratulations on stop smoking - I've heard that is very difficult to stop.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 05-26-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow, pretty hot thread. Do I need to buy tickets to watch this carnage?

It's too bad we have to argue with each other like this. I'm sure all the Hummer drivers would get a great laugh out of this.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Do you think before you type? - I drive an Insight. Are you suggesting it's taboo to "rave" about hybrids here?

Also, tonight I was not discussing my car, it was reponding to an attack on Hot Georgia.

Please take your own advice and cool it on the bait.

Congratulations on stop smoking - I've heard that is very difficult to stop.
It has been my experience, nonhybrid owners don't want to hear it- unless they ask for
info.

Now,is that unreasonable.

Thanks, I quit over 30 years ago.

In addition, I do bike (bicycle tours) of 65-70 miles/day.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

It has been my experience, nonhybrid owners don't want to hear it- unless they ask for
info.

Now,is that unreasonable.
Let's see....they consider it offensive to hear about hybrids and greener driving at a hybrid site....the site name suggests it is....they might have a point if this was a general automotive site.

Thanks, I quit over 30 years ago.

In addition, I do bike (bicycle tours) of 65-70 miles/day.
That's a good workout. Riight now running is what I do...

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 05-30-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: $4 gasoline is coming

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands