Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Bye-bye tax savings, so long hybrids . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bye-bye tax savings, so long hybrids . . .

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service has acknowledged the certification by General Motors Corporation that several of its 2006 and 2007 vehicles qualify for the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit created by the Energy Policy Act of 2005. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles applies to new vehicles placed in service on or after Jan. 1, 2006.

The hybrid vehicle certifications recently acknowledged by the IRS and their credit amounts are:

• GMC Sierra (4WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2006 $650.00
  • GMC Sierra (4WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2007 $650.00
  • Chevrolet Silverado (4WD) hybrid pickup truck - Model Year 2006 $650.00
  • Chevrolet Silverado (4WD) hybrid pickup truck - Model Year 2007 $650.00
  • GMC Sierra (2WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2006 $250.00
  • GMC Sierra (2WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2007 $250.00
  • Chevrolet Silverado (2WD) hybrid pickup truck - Model Year 2006 $250.00
  • Chevrolet Silverado (2WD) hybrid pick up truck - Model Year 2007 $250.00

$250 !!!! I'm running out and picking one of these up NOW.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nomorebenz
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service has acknowledged the certification by General Motors Corporation that several of its 2006 and 2007 vehicles qualify for the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit created by the Energy Policy Act of 2005. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles applies to new vehicles placed in service on or after Jan. 1, 2006.

The hybrid vehicle certifications recently acknowledged by the IRS and their credit amounts are:

• GMC Sierra (4WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2006 $650.00<
  • GMC Sierra (4WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2007 $650.00<
  • Chevrolet Silverado (4WD) hybrid pickup truck - Model Year 2006 $650.00<
  • Chevrolet Silverado (4WD) hybrid pickup truck - Model Year 2007 $650.00<
  • GMC Sierra (2WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2006 $250.00<
  • GMC Sierra (2WD) hybrid pickup truck Model Year 2007 $250.00<
  • Chevrolet Silverado (2WD) hybrid pickup truck - Model Year 2006 $250.00<
  • Chevrolet Silverado (2WD) hybrid pick up truck - Model Year 2007 $250.00<
The tax people love it. Those aren't going to take much money out of the coffers.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, let's get real folks. How many of us bought their car for the tax incentive??

I'll admit, it was a factor in my choice. Ford still has the full incentive of $2,600. However, the gas savings, as well as the emissions ratings, is what really compelled me to looking at another 5 yrs of payments. Otherwise, it wouldn't be feasible to trade in my '02 Explorer 1 yr. before it's payoff date

Old 07-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think hybrids will continue to sell. There will be demand fluctuations
but don't underestimate the power of 1 gulf hurricane or 1 Venzualan/Iranian hug and $4.00/gal gasoline.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ranaes
Hey, let's get real folks. How many of us bought their car for the tax incentive??
I didn't buy it for the incentive, I bought it for the fuel conservation and the low emissions.

Would I have bought it with no tax incentive? You bet. But you gotta admit that it is a nice bonus, especially when jerks rush to point out that it'll take years to actually recoup the added cost. I have a set response: "I didn't buy it to save money, I bought it to save the planet. But since money seems to be all you care about...."

Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by blinkard
Nah. If he were a Libertarian, he wouldn't be driving, he'd be complaining that the Constitution doesn't specifically empower the Federal Government to create a system of roads.
No he'd say the states need to make there own roads, and the Feds should stay out of it though the constitution does talk about post roads for the post office, but us Libertarians want the mail to be privatized anyway.

In the grand scheme the Feds just take taxes from the states and give less than what they taxed back for roads, and then threaten to give even less if things like 21 year old drinking and 0.08 DUI laws aren't passed. So much for the Constitution and the Supreme Court that required an Amendment to ban alcohol.

As Richard Thompson sang "I'll hurt you 'til you need me", that's government.

My prediction is that we will never see another Amendment to the Constitution as Amendments are obsolete because the Constitution has become meaningless.

Last edited by worthywads; 07-30-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

I got my 2000 Insight before tax breaks, and saved about $2,500 in gas over the crippled 88 CRX HF I'd been driving if someone had not totaled it.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by worthywads
No he'd say the states need to make there own roads, and the Feds should stay out of it though the constitution does talk about post roads for the post office
Yeah, and none of those state-built roads would actually connect with each other.

My concern would be that some states would choose not to spend money on their roads, and it would take forever to get across them. (Then again, that might drive companies to develop high-speed rail service....)

but us Libertarians want the mail to be privatized anyway.
Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with shutting down the USPS. FedEx and UPS can handle it, and their services are available everywhere. With the Internet and telephones, mail isn't the vital service it once was. I don't expect the Post Office to make a profit, but it's ridiculous that they always lose money.

My god, a Liberal and a Libertarian in agreement on something. Mark this date on your calendar!

In the grand scheme the Feds just take taxes from the states and give less than what they taxed back for roads, and then threaten to give even less if things like 21 year old drinking and 0.08 DUI laws aren't passed. So much for the Constitution and the Supreme Court that required an Amendment to ban alcohol.
Hey, somebody's gotta pay for this war. No, wait, we're leaving that for the next generation. Nevermind.

My prediction is that we will never see another Amendment to the Constitution as Amendments are obsolete because the Constitution has become meaningless.
Honestly, I tend to think we've got the important stuff covered. The two amendments that everyone is pushing (flag burning and anti-gay marriage) strike me as things that--if passed--are just going to be repealed later.

But you can bet your butt that there are still gonna be people who want to amend it for something or other. I think they think they're leaving their mark on history that way. Forget all the legislation you do pass, you haven't done anything unless you've tinkered with the Constitution.

Wait, what was the topic of this thread, again?

Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

More on tax savings and hybrids:

Google News

Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nomorebenz
That's one week of gas for these vehicles, no?