Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Conversion packs to plug-in coming in '08 (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/conversion-packs-plug-coming-08-a-13398/)

Earthling 05-02-2007 08:27 AM

Conversion packs to plug-in coming in '08

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007..._to_.html#more

You will be able to turn your hybrid into a plug-in hybrid in '08. It won't be cheap, but it is a sign of things to come.

Harry

Pravus Prime 05-02-2007 08:37 PM

Re: Conversion packs to plug-in coming in '08

Well, before Hymotion teamed up with A123, it was about $8K to convert the FEH to a PHEV. Then, it was said when A123 announced the alliance with Hymotion that they would be bringing the cost down to about $5K.

At $2K, I'd be game, either by incentives or via price reduction. The only downside is I'd lose my warranty with Ford.

Sledge 05-03-2007 09:31 AM

Found this on a car alarm website

Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty.
Read your warranty.

Pravus Prime 05-03-2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sledge (Post 123527)
Found this on a car alarm website

Read your warranty.

Hmm... Good to know! :omg:

Tim K 05-04-2007 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime (Post 123457)
Well, before Hymotion teamed up with A123, it was about $8K to convert the FEH to a PHEV. Then, it was said when A123 announced the alliance with Hymotion that they would be bringing the cost down to about $5K.

At $2K, I'd be game, either by incentives or via price reduction. The only downside is I'd lose my warranty with Ford.

Actually, Hymotion is still not converting to PHEV's for the general public. They are still testing their kit in fleet vehicles....at least as recently as last month. The Prius kit, which includes a much smaller battery (5kWh), is expected to cost $9,500 according to their site. The FEH pack is more than twice the size (12kWh) and would cost close to, if not more than $20,000. They claimed that was part of the reason they were not releasing it yet as they were trying to find a way to reduce the cost. Hopefully, the aliance with A123 will help, though it looks like it is going to be another year (2008) before we see them. Also, the article I read had A123 systems quoting the cost at $10,000 and pushing for a $3500 tax credit from the gov't.