Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Edmunds Gas-Sipper Smackdown (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/edmunds-gas-sipper-smackdown-18262/)

Johnc73 05-22-2008 03:06 PM

Edmunds Gas-Sipper Smackdown

These days there are a lot of small cars pounding their chests and claiming they get the best gas mileage around. Well, we got tired of the talk and decided to settle the score. Right here, right now!
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...0/article.html

Compared '05 Jetta TDI, Smartcar, '08 Focus, and of course '08 Prius. The Prius won but the TDI was close except for the "Las Vegas has the longest traffic lights in the world" on their in-city route. I don't care which tech is better but if Vegas really does have ridiculously long lights maybe they should choose a different city and next time use the newer diesels that are supposed to come out soon.

BigTuna 05-22-2008 04:14 PM

Re: Edmunds Gas-Sipper Smackdown

Originally Posted by Johnc73 (Post 173367)
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...0/article.html

Compared '05 Jetta TDI, Smartcar, '08 Focus, and of course '08 Prius. The Prius won but the TDI was close except for the "Las Vegas has the longest traffic lights in the world" on their in-city route. I don't care which tech is better but if Vegas really does have ridiculously long lights maybe they should choose a different city and next time use the newer diesels that are supposed to come out soon.

Cool review! That diesel rocked on the freeway! Here are the new EPA numbers on the new VW diesel: What do you think, Prius killer?

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7...adieselgg2.jpg

Note this is the 6sp manual version. The automatic is rated one mpg less in all categories for a score of 29/40/33 mpg

bwilson4web 05-22-2008 05:56 PM

...We battled it out on back roads up through Death Valley and then into Las Vegas, cruising at 50-65 miles per hour over a distance of 334 miles.
Toyota Prius, 46.0 mpg
This is off by quite a bit from what my 2003 Prius gets in this speed range, 56-52 MPG. I just drive on cruise control so I have no idea how they got such poor performance.

Bob Wilson

Indigo 05-23-2008 03:16 AM

In Maryland, diesel fuel costs $0.30-$0.40 more per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline. It was nice to see that this article actually factored in fuel costs. Most reviews just say "Seeeeeee!!! A diesel is just as good as a hybrid!" Heh heh.

Whiterook 05-23-2008 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 173396)
This is off by quite a bit from what my 2003 Prius gets in this speed range, 56-52 MPG. I just drive on cruise control so I have no idea how they got such poor performance.

Bob Wilson

Absolutely.
I'm suspicious of anything written or of any "tests" done by Edmunds.

Right now, I'm working on the past 255 miles @ 56.0mpg. My last tank of gas averaged 55.3mpg (425 miles).

My '06 LOVES these springtime temperatures! I cannot imagine getting the crappy gas mileage that Edmunds got under ANY warm weather scenario.

bwilson4web 05-23-2008 05:33 AM

Indeed! To get under 50 MPG at 65 mph, the outside temperature has to be below freezing with my 03 Prius. The only thing I can come up with is maybe they drove the whole trip in "B" instead of "D."

Bob Wilson

Whiterook 05-23-2008 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 173446)
Indeed! To get under 50 MPG at 65 miles per hour, the outside temperature has to be below freezing with my 03 Prius. The only thing I can come up with is maybe they drove the whole trip in "B" instead of "D."

Bob Wilson

Yup.
That would make sense; as in "B" for Braindead.

Hot_Georgia_2004 05-23-2008 07:00 AM

First, Please don't take this as a diesel bash- it is not.

I'm assuming the TDI has a 5speed manual transmission, while one could consider the Prius as an automatic. (of sort)

I think a more accurate test would have been the TDI with an automatic transmission. I'd bet the results would have been different.

Here is a monthly mileage tracker between (mainly) TDI drivers:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212102
The list isn't updated, and to today there is one AT at 37MPG.

With that said ...
I think diesel autos are wonderful cars, and one great alternative to a regular gasser. It was a good article, but also wanted to point out the differences in transmissions, given the competition.

kristian 05-23-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Whiterook (Post 173445)
Absolutely.
I'm suspicious of anything written or of any "tests" done by Edmunds.

Right now, I'm working on the past 255 miles @ 56.0mpg. My last tank of gas averaged 55.3mpg (425 miles).

My '06 LOVES these springtime temperatures! I cannot imagine getting the crappy gas mileage that Edmunds got under ANY warm weather scenario.

I think Edmunds is a head and shoulders above the rest of the automotive press, but there is one serious flaw to the test: every driver will have a slightly different style and it's very possible that driving style would have a large impact. This would especially be true in the city where one driver may be a little more aggressive than the others.

I laugh at all of the "fuel economy" articles that are popping up in the mainstream press lately. I think that CNN has had a different article every week now relating to either "how to improve your mileage" or "which cars are the best SUV alternatives".... I guess people learn by repetition, so the more they see things like this, the more chance they will adopt some of what they read.

Bobs Metallic Pearl 05-23-2008 05:10 PM

I am not a diesel fan under any circumstances but my bias aside, gas is currently $3.74 per gal in Spokane, Diesel is now $5.29, with similar mileage, NO CONTEST. And, oh yeah, the Hybrid doesn't smell....yes, I know new diesel cars don't smell, yeah and gas is coming down next month...I was behind a new M/B diesel (no plate yet) it didn't smoke but it did smell....yuck!