Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Executive order for Plug-In (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/executive-order-plug-12068/)

bwilson4web 01-29-2007 04:10 AM

Executive order for Plug-In

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...28lessgas.html

" . . .
Bush followed that the next day with an executive order mandating that all federal agencies with more than 20 vehicles use “PHEVs” – plug-in hybrid electric vehicles – when they become commercially available.
. . ."
I can support this provided it doesn't mean tickle chargers on a lead-acid battery.

Bob Wilson

Earthling 01-29-2007 05:51 AM

Re: Executive order for Plug-In

Wilson[/quote]

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 109656)
" . . .
Bush followed that the next day with an executive order mandating that all federal agencies with more than 20 vehicles use “PHEVs” – plug-in hybrid electric vehicles – when they become commercially available.
. . ."

Bush could do a lot more just by pressuring an immediate pattern change in vehicles used by the Federal government, and agencies sponsored by the Federal government: get rid of as many SUV's as possible.

There are so many government agencies, police forces, airports, et al that foolishly (fuelishly) choose SUV's when cheaper and more fuel-efficient vehicles would serve the purpose just fine.

Harry

leahbeatle 01-29-2007 11:11 AM

I found the following extremely interesting from your link:

The U.S. Department of Energy estimates there would be no need to increase electrical-generation capacity until plug-ins constitute nearly 85 percent of the nation's vehicles. That's because most charging can take place during off-peak hours.
If that's right, then that's astounding. Are they really saying that there's that much inefficiency built into the grid and the power generation system right now? Enough that our existing and unused or underused capacity could replace the energy used by 85% of the nation's vehicle fleet? Wow!

On the subject of Bush, I find myself in an odd position. On the one hand I want to rail at the guy for once again leaving the needful things for tomorrow. People should do it, yes, he's saying, but not until he's out of office, not until the PHEVs are 'commercially viable,' not with the existing technologies, hybrids, or more efficient cars that are currently out on the roads. In other words, he's passing off responsibility, killing time, twiddling his thumbs on what we can do now and waiting for the Next Big Thing to come around the bend before doing any of the many things he could be doing in the meantime. It basically becomes an excuse for not having done his job on this issue for the last six years.

But on the other hand, I feel like I should applaud this. At least he's being forward-thinking. We all know that hybrids aren't the END of this story, and that more research, more technology, and more solutions will need to be developed. It's good that he's getting behind something that is so practical, so plausible, so... within reach! At least it isn't the hydrogen car thing all over again.

I don't know. His plans for ethanol research and for better CAFE standards down the road are not BAD steps, they're just too slow, too little, not urgent enough. If he'd proposed them in his very first SOTU, they would have been something to cheer about, perhaps- and an indication of better things to come from him, a real commitment for change. Coming at this point, after his many years of non-action and counter-productive actions, I just can't be very happy about it, as much as I'd like to be.

Johnc73 01-29-2007 02:40 PM

It's only inefficient because starting up a power plant from scratch is a giant undertaking that takes a long time. If they shut one of those down at night it'll be the next day (or longer) before it is on-line again. Better off just leaving the thing running even if it is doing nothing. If the plant is nicely situated they could be using the excess to pump water up a hill. Electric companies love plugin vehicles since they'll get to charge for otherwise wasted generation.