Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford's 60 mpg hybrid... full-size pickup?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Ford's 60 mpg hybrid... full-size pickup?!

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
My experience comes from driving my father's Focus, which he ended up trading in at 40k miles because it was a piece of junk. With the electrical problems, including an ECU and wire harness replacement and a suspension problem that contributed to two blow outs, he got fed up. Neither of us got over 35 mpg, and we're both conservative drivers. Granted it was a 2001, and perhaps the quality has improved since. But no, I am not a fan.

I did get to drive one in England, and if they decide to import that car (especially with the diesel option), I will be pushing people out of line to get one. Ford Europe seems to have its act significantly more together in terms of building a quality vehicle.

Jeff

My mother owns a Focus, and it's a great vehicle. 80+K as I recall, and outside of a recall and whatnot, there's been nothing wrong with the vehicle, nothing has failed or had a problem. She tends to drive a bit fast and more on the aggressive side, but gets 26 MPGs consistantly.

I think the model year and other factors may play a big role in the quality, almost regardless of who makes it; later years will always be better than the initial year.

BTW, to edit, you hit the edit button. You could either change the quote, or delete the old message, and create a new one, with the right quote, and use a little cut and paste to just transfer your response.