Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

An Inconvenient Truth

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Maybe AlGore needs to put his mouth where is movie is:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...re-green_x.htm
He does and makes a nice living at it too. Al Gore should enjoy the fruits of his labor and this is just another ad hominm attack on success. I'm very glad he is doing well and hope he pulls a Nixon, and runs again!

After all, Al Gore was elected by the US voters in 2000 by over 500,000 votes.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Actually, I thought the story made good points. He doesn't need OIL STOCKS to have success. There are a lot of profitable markets. He should have solar panels on the roofs of his palacial mansions, shouldn't he, if he's going to use his fame to encourage others to be green?

I mean, I appreciate success just like the next guy, and those who achieve it surely deserve to enjoy the fruits thereof, but in his position, the greener he gets the better.

After all, he INVENTED the Internet, remember?

P.S. If AlGore had lived in a country where the popular vote was the critical tally, he would have been elected. We have this little something called the "Electoral College" here in the USA.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Just because the messenger may be flawed does not mean the message is also bad.

I did not vote for Gore in 2000, but will agree with him on Climate Change...

Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Just because the messenger may be flawed does not mean the message is also bad.

I did not vote for Gore in 2000, but will agree with him on Climate Change...
Agreed on your first comment.

And I applaud him for wanting to help the world - so do I.

Where I disagree is his "doomsday is coming" attitude and his not walking the walk.

We as individuals with limited budgets can only do so much at a time. People with his bank account should take extra effort to make THEMSELVES a prime example of how to live. If that person is going to talk the talk, they should walk the walk.

If I had $50,000 at my disposal, I could take my house off the grid, buy an electric car, power it with solar panels at my house, install the most efficient A/C in my house, insulate it to an R90, etc etc.

The only thing stopping me is money. AlGore has the money and is not doing those things.

With his money and influence, he could be financing changing WHOLE NEIGHBORHOODS over to solar power.

So in review: I'm glad he cares - so do I. If I had his finances I would be doing a better job at walking the walk than he is doing.

Last edited by lars-ss; 08-10-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

I agree with your point, lars-ss - "walking the talk" is important.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Then we will disagree:
. . .
We as individuals with limited budgets can only do so much at a time. People with his bank account should take extra effort to make THEMSELVES a prime example of how to live. If that person is going to talk the talk, they should walk the walk.
Al Gore has already done this in a way much beyond the narrow scope of his property lines.

If I had $50,000 at my disposal, I could take my house off the grid, buy an electric car, power it with solar panels at my house, install the most efficient A/C in my house, insulate it to an R90, etc etc.
Proof that Al Gore's message has gotten through even if you didn't get it from Al. The message is what is important and getting it is is what leads to it being multipled by individual action far beyond just one man.

The only thing stopping me is money. AlGore has the money and is not doing those things.
You are not Al Gore but quite willing to dictate how he should spend his time and money. His movie, An Inconvient Truth, has the ability to multiply what you are only dreaming about. The movie has the ability to get many thousands, 100s of thousands and more to move toward energy efficiency. One individual action is but an insignificant mote of history but leading and helping to make a change is different and on an entirely different scale.

With his money and influence, he could be financing changing WHOLE NEIGHBORHOODS over to solar power.
He is by his movies and books doing exactly that! It is called leverage and leadership.

So in review: I'm glad he cares - so do I. If I had his finances I would be doing a better job at walking the walk than he is doing.
Al Gore did something that has the potential to multiply many, many times over. Like the parable about the three servants who got different amounts of money from their master. One took the money and multiplied it several times over. The second also multiplied his money. But the third dug a hole and buried his little money and was scorned for not even 'lending it out.'

Al Gore's movie, books and talks are multiplying what God gave him and to ask him first 'dig a hole,' well it isn't even in the same ballpark, is it?

Bob Wilson

ps. Many of us thought before bringing Democracy to Iraq, we needed to bring it to our own country. Al Gore won the democratic vote by over 500,000 in 2000.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 PM

ps. Many of us thought before bringing Democracy to Iraq, we needed to bring it to our own country. Al Gore won the democratic vote by over 500,000 in 2000.
The USA is not a Democracy? Hmmm....I thought it was....my bad....

AlGore should re-read this: In the New Testament, Paul also addressed another young man, Titus, and told him, "In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you."

Old 08-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Again, I agree with lars-ss that our daily life be consistent with our convictions.

One reinforcement to drive green and friendly is a couple of items on my car - one with www.cleanmpg.com, the other a spiritual item hanging under the rear-view mirror. That's me.

One of my ongoing themes is eco-issues matter to everybody regardless of your politics. Nobody wants to use imported oil and hurt the economy if we can practically avoid it. A cleaner environment is also in the interests of all.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Best Thing

Last edited by Chilly; 08-10-2006 at 02:46 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 08-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Although a lot of this movie was about Al Gore's personal quest to educate people about the dangers of global warming, the movie really isn't about whether we like Al Gore or not, and people who let that get in the way are missing a lot of the story. I guess it might be relevant to whether you find him credible, but even so, he's able to cite a lot of sources that are pretty darn credible. I would hope that most people who see this movie understand the scope of what he's talking about- it's so much bigger than Al Gore. He is just the latest messenger, and currently the highest profile one.

I agree with Delta Flyer: eco-issues matter to everybody regardless of politics. Being pro-environmental crosses party lines more than almost any other issue out there- it just doesn't translate into many votes at the ballot box, so far too many people in DC think they can ignore it. But people vote with their wallets, too, metaphorically speaking- that's what buying a hybrid means to me, at least in part. Hybrids are part of the economic wing of the environmental movement.

Quick Reply: An Inconvenient Truth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands