Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

NOVA - Car of the Future

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: NOVA - Car of the Future

Originally Posted by Mikesan
Ever hear of a drag strip?
And what percentage of people who buy any car with that much horsepower from a dealer are going to go to a drag strip?

When I say i agree with the statement "Who needs 500 HP" I'm talking about for an everyday vehicle that runs on the road.

Are you in politics by any chance? If not you should be.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Prius geek

Where's my choice for efficient EVs? Land of infinite variety? NOT! Last time i shopped a car all I ended up with was a 50 MPG Prius.

Why didn't Click and Clack ask the GM person about the "future car" of 10 years ago...the EV-1? where'd that battery tech end up? Well, Chevron holds the patent for the large-scale NiMH pack and the cars were crushed. THAT's the future...from the past. Wow, it boggles my mind that they didn't ask that when "40 miles and we're still waiting for a battery tech" was the answer the GM person gave when asked why the 'vapor' volt was not in production.

evnut.com for more info.

Stupid reallity conspiracies...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finman
Where's my choice for efficient EVs?
evnut.com for more info.

Stupid reallity conspiracies...
It does not qualify as a conspiracy when there's clear and compelling evidence to prove the point. That makes it an inconvenient truth.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikesan
No one NEEDS 500 HP, but no one needs chocolate either. But both are an awful lot of fun. I prefer to live in a place where there are more choices, not fewer. And I really prefer to live in a place where people with differing values from mine do not get to decide how I should live.
You know... Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

I think most people could agree to this proposition, even though it's not true as a matter of law. If you swing your fist at someone the right to do it actually ends before the other man's nose, because if you threaten someone so much that they think they could be hit it could be deemed assualt... the actual contact is the battery. (The quotation actually captures where assualt & battery meet).

Less people would agree with this statement, "I am all for 500 hp engines, as long as the people who use them re-route the exhaust into their cars so I don't have to breathe the wasteful emissions."

So, yeah, choices are great! But sometimes when choices effect others, the question of whether I have a choice or not of having to suffer the consequences of your choice becomes an issue.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevejust
You know... Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."
In truth, one's right to swing one's fist would end well before the other man's nose.

Originally Posted by stevejust
when choices effect others, the question of whether I have a choice or not of having to suffer the consequences of your choice becomes an issue.
A man's right to take a dump on my lawn ends when I exercise my right to shoot him in the a**!