Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Oil at $117/barrel, Saudi Arabia "not interested" in increasing production

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil at $117/barrel, Saudi Arabia "not interested" in increasing production

Originally Posted by steved28
Believe me Rich, It sucks for me too. I run oil heat and live in the NE. Average cost of a 1/2 tank this year was about $450.00. I had lots of deliveries this winter. Home heating oil tends to follow diesel fuel prices, minus some taxes.
But if we are willing to sacrifice a bit now, I truly believe good things are on the horizon.

On the rare day I'm not at work, I am astounded by the traffic on my local roads during "working hours". Single drivers in big vehicles (usually on the cell phone too, don't get me started). Makes you wonder how people managed during WWII, with gas rationing, no rubber products, loved ones overseas. I really don't think we know sacrifice.
America is in for a lot of pain before good things are on the horizon. Consider that before WW2 suburban America had not been defined and the population density of people in urban areas was (presumably) higher.

These days much of America (suburbia) was designed in the era of cheap oil with the expectation that it would last forever. This obviously isn't the case. Until alternatives arrive there is going to be economic pain.

Consider that today it takes more to fill up a Prius than an SUV only a few years ago and how many goods are shipped via truck and this is a pretty scary scenario. I'm amazed that inflation is only running at a 4% clip currently...looking for this number to jump significantly in the near future.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil at $117/barrel, Saudi Arabia "not interested" in increasing production

Originally Posted by steved28
Believe me Rich, It sucks for me too. I run oil heat and live in the NE. Average cost of a 1/2 tank this year was about $450.00. I had lots of deliveries this winter. Home heating oil tends to follow diesel fuel prices, minus some taxes.
I haven't heard much noise about this. But this is going to be a very serious problem for lots of folks in the NE come next winter. I think there are going to be a lot of people who aren't going to know what hit them until it's time for the first fill up in October or November.

I'm thinking about getting a wood burning fireplace insert for my living room, in addition to the wood burning stove I already have in my family room. If I can keep up with managing the wood, I would only need to burn oil for hot water.