Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Survey: Credit Card Use at Gas Pump Surges

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Survey: Credit Card Use at Gas Pump Surges

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I generally go to Chevrons (sometimes Quiktrips) due to the "top-tier" gas. And since I have a Chevron gas card, at the end of the month I can see exactly how much fuel has cost me and I can compare to what I paid for fuel in the previous months. If I pay with cash, I lose track of how much fuel went into the tank.
All you need in order to keep track of fuel used, cost, etc. is to keep a small notebook in your car and log your fuel purchases. I've been doing that for at least 20 years now. My log has 4 columns (date, miles, gallons and cost). If your car has a trip meter, tracking miles is easy -- just reset it to zero at each fillup.

As for tracking fuel costs on a monthly basis, that's easy to do in Quicken or MS Money whether you use credit card(s), cash or both. Just use the "automobile --gasoline" category (or whatever your program calls it). Money '03 will even let you see monthly bar charts for comparison.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Banned

Page 2 of this MSNBC Story(breakdown of the price of US gas) states each gallon of gas is charged five cents by the credit card companies.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Read it again, UP TO five cents.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Walter
Next step is for mortgage companies to set up at gas stations. 2nd mortgage on your house with a lien against your left arm or first born in exchange for a FULL tank of gas.
--Walter
Don't forget... mortgage companies insist on inspections!

"Yes, but before we approve your loan, Mr. Smith, our mechanic will have to check out your vehicle. BTW, there's a $200 inspection fee that you'll need to pay up front."

Old 09-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

I just got a Hess gas card. You get 10% rebate for the first 90 days on all Hess gas purchases. (I'll get one in my wife's name when I max out the rebate) I had been using first the 5% Back Discover gas card until my purchases ran past the maximum & they lowered it to 3%. Then I got one in my wife's name until the same thing.. Then to a 5% back Citicard, which also gives 5% at supermarkets. I pay them off each month, so no interest. This gives me close to an extra $7-800 at the end of this year (I travel 38k miles a year...approx)

Old 09-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

I use my credit card as cash....and pay it off each month.

I figure if they have already worked in the extra 3% they pay for the credit card charges into the price of a gallon, I might as well take advantage of it. No need to give them extra cash and pay to get my cash from the ATM.

I haven't paid cash for gas (other than a buck or two for the lawn mower) in about 8 years.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I always use mine because it lets me delay payment for a month with no added charge and I get a 1% rebate on everything I buy... not much but better than nothing.

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
The use of credit cards at gas pumps has climbed significantly, along with the gas prices. Credit card use may slow down the day people try to drive differently or drive in something different. Different article (Washington Post) remarked about how people will drive to find gas two cents cheaper, yet they could save 18 cents a gallon simply by driving 50mph instead of 70mph. That is essentially the price difference between regular and premium.

MSNBC Story

Old 09-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

I can't remember ever using cash. I get 5% back on my credit card (a deduction from my balance every month!) and I always pay it in full. Why go through the trouble of waiting in line at the cashier twice (I always fill up) just to pay more?? Why even worry about the exact dollar amount on the pump so you don't get pennies, nickels, etc. in your change?

Old 10-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Banned

Just found a local article stating that Dallas-area drivers have increased credit card use this year from 54% to 80% - more that the national average.