Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Default Re: Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

Originally Posted by Tim
Well, I'll be the one to "swat the hornets nest" so to speak...

I'll get into trouble because I think we've all been lured into thinking we need more vehicle than we actually do, and I also include super-expensive cars (like this $60K Lexus) squarely in the "own because I can, not because I need" category. I went through this exercise with my Civic. Sure, a slightly used BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Acura TL would have been my preference. They'd be on the very upper limit of my price range, and would probably need a very long loan to get them. However when I ran all the numbers of cost of ownership (loan, insurance, gas, maintenance), the Civic was so far below I couldn't help but pick it. So I'm not exactly rolling in style, but it's getting the job done, and $100's less per month than the alternatives. I was surprised, however, how hard it was to wrench the "want" from the equation, and stick with the "need". Having done it, I wouldn't trade my Civic for any of them.

I think if we can get out of this, "my car is bigger than your car" mode, folks might be surprised at how happy they would be with a more efficient alternative.
Well I want to read good books and watch good TV shows and movies, but I don't actually need any entertainment. I want a girlfriend but don't need one, strictly speaking. I want to have delicious meals but only need a balanced diet of bread, fruits, and vegetables. I want to earn a living but could survive even without a job.

Just because we don't need something doesn't mean we shouldn't have it.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Well I want to read good books and watch good TV shows and movies, but I don't actually need any entertainment. I want a girlfriend but don't need one, strictly speaking. I want to have delicious meals but only need a balanced diet of bread, fruits, and vegetables. I want to earn a living but could survive even without a job.

Somehow, I don't think a desire for these things registers in the gaudy or narcacissistic zone for most part....think most here can connect the dots on what Tim was saying...

Old 03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually I would think that's precisely what not needing something means. To restate, perhaps it would be:

"Just because we don't need something doesn't mean we *can't* have it."

To your point, though, your books, TV choices or bachelor status don't effect the traffic everyone else drives in, the smog in our environment, the prices of gas, and when slamming into other vehicles or just rolling over on others, the immediate safety of other people.... unless of course you're choosing to read books, watch TV and hit on girls *while* driving!!

Old 03-06-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ender21
Actually I would think that's precisely what not needing something means. To restate, perhaps it would be:
So you're saying I should not eat good food, read books, or be involved with someone? That's ridiculous. Just because I don't need those things doesn't mean I shouldn't have them.

You seem to think the Lexus 450h should not be driven by anyone. That's absurd... especially your allegations that it's much dirtier than a Prius. How do you know? It would not surprise me if it too is AT-PZEV; I mean, Volkswagen created a PZEV Jetta and Ford created a PZEV Fusion. And those cars still get fairly poor mileage. Cars do not all release the same pollution per gallon of gas, you know.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Banned
Default Don't Distort With Partial Quotes

Originally Posted by ender21

"Just because we don't need something doesn't mean we *can't* have it."

To your point, though, your books, TV choices or bachelor status don't effect the traffic everyone else drives in, the smog in our environment, the prices of gas, and when slamming into other vehicles or just rolling over on others, the immediate safety of other people.... unless of course you're choosing to read books, watch TV and hit on girls *while* driving!!
Why are you afraid of completly quoting enders21? Could it be because your comparing apples and oranges? Some things we do or buy affect others - some don't.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 03-06-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

So you're saying I should not eat good food, read books, or be involved with someone? That's ridiculous. Just because I don't need those things doesn't mean I shouldn't have them.

You seem to think the Lexus 450h should not be driven by anyone. That's absurd... especially your allegations that it's much dirtier than a Prius. How do you know? It would not surprise me if it too is AT-PZEV; I mean, Volkswagen created a PZEV Jetta and Ford created a PZEV Fusion. And those cars still get fairly poor mileage. Cars do not all release the same pollution per gallon of gas, you know.
Wow, you went a long way to put words in my mouth. I didn't mention the 450h, the Prius, Volkswagen, Ford, the Fusion or whether or not anyone should/can/can't/shouldn't own and/or drive one in that post.

Basically in restating your line and replacing the word "shouldn't" with "can't" I was just dealing in semantics. But I got your point, which is what the *rest* of my post was about -- and to me, of more relevance -- and was on topic.

But back to the semantics and the reason the ex-English major in me came out :
I also said "Not needing something doesn't mean you *can't* have it." In other words "You *can* have something you don't need." Wouldn't that basically say you *can* own a 450h??? You *can* enjoy good food? You *can* read a trashy romance novel with Fabio on the cover?

You said: "Not needing something doesn't mean you shouldn't have it." In other words "You *should* have something you don't need." Wouldn't that basically say you *should* have a girlfriend? You *should* eat good food?

"Shouldn't" implies there should be regulations, laws, or at the very least a Scarlet Letter and public scorn for doing some thing. E.G., You "shouldn't" put your hand in an open flame. You "shouldn't" kill other people.

But again, I was just being semantical and hardly serious with that statement, which appears to have caused you to completely ignore the rest of my post. My humble apologies to my neighbor to the south. I hear they brew decaf coffee nowadays.

Rick

Old 03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Off Topic:
WOW, take 5 advil and call in the morning....

Now I have taken slight offence to some comments I have recieved here , there and there also.. But I like the duck annalogy I try and let it rool off my back and re read it and normally I realize the other guy wasnt trying to rip me it was just a play on words or how i first percived it man I need spell check & ha clean up on isle 5 just dumped coke in my keyboard..

But taking a step back I would have to agree with tims statements on the topic of NEED and WANT.. Good show..

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 03-06-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

enders21 may point out my need (not want) for a spell check on my last post.

Anyone notice how optons circa 1980 are "needs"
  • Civics are now the size of the original Accords
  • Power steering, brakes, locks, windows (not that any of this is bad....)
  • 0-60mph in less than 13 seconds (even the Insight is faster than that)
I could make a long list, but the point has been made - there are a lot of things we think we need.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Wow. Let's all stay civil guys, and at least somewhat on topic. All I wanted to do was point out an upcoming hybrid, and instead we get a discussion of want vs. need.

Off Topic:
You can also use offtopic tags as you would a quote or bold to get this nifty little thing.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ok I cleaned out the coke, & i'll try and use the think & spell toy to my advantage ..

Quick Reply: Toyota's New Expensive Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands