Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: US Gas hits $3.50/gallon

We actually have 21st century toll booths, no stopping just slowing down as described above. So they get us at the pump and the road. Pay in cash and you pay double. I actually like Ohio's toll system....get a ticket when you get on and pay when you get off. I'm sure they could incorporate that into the I-PASS system.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Owch! Dang Yankees!

The last time I was up Nawth I remember driving through Connecticut. About the time you reached the speed limit and got the cruise control sorted out, here came the signs for another toll booth. It made me love 'em.

Can't we make 'em tollbooths from h*ll staffed by the recently unemployed? Maybe if we just add random TSA checks, "Sir, would you please get out of your car and take off your shoes?"

WHAT AM I THINKING!!!!

After the road repair and construction projects all shutdown, there won't be a need for toll booths from h*ll!

Bob Wilson

Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here in Northern Calif, 87 octane is just shy of $4. Still haven't filled our tank since buying the Civic about 3 weeks ago.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikesan
Here in Northern Calif, 87 octane is just shy of $4. Still haven't filled our tank since buying the Civic about 3 weeks ago.
3.84 at Von's (Safeway to those of you living in the East). But I did see regular around 3.90+ as I pedaled 64 miles today.

As I mentioned earlier in the week, regular in our Central Coast, 3.99 - 4.09.

Even worse is diesel way up at around 4.40.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

It's always touching to hear people's concerns for the poor when it comes to fuel prices. Two aspects of this come to mind. First, anyone driving a 12 mpg car is not really poor where I come from. Poor is rather when you don't own a car. Or maybe have one but can't afford to drive it. Most of the cost of ownership is other items than gas, be it 4 or 8 USD/gallon.

Second, think of who will suffer when we run out of oil or when climate changes hit us. People demonstrating against high fuel prices in US, where have they been the last years? Don't they read newspapers? Watch TV?

Even Bob Lutz suggested (about a year ago, in a long interview) that US fuel taxes be raised gradually and slowly over a decade or so, so that manufacturers and consumers get time to adapt. And you would think Bob had reason to argue against higher fuel taxes.