Guilt vs. Lexus RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Guilt vs. Lexus RX400h

The Fuel Economy web site is great for comparing information! Thank you very much.

All the other responses I'm getting are helping to educate me. I'm getting a crash course on hybrids and other environmentally friendly (or friendlier) vehicles. Maybe I'm just a easily impressionable but I saw "An Inconveninent Truth" and finally saw the light. Or what I think is the light.

Thanks to everyone that helps shed light on how these cars work for them.

Last edited by gerardnc; 05-30-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You may also want to question yourself on why you want lots of power. Do you actually need it, or do you just feel comfortable having it because you've been indoctrinated to think so? While it's easy to blame the Auto Industry or the Oil Industry, power does come at a price of fuel economy, it's pretty much a basic rule of nature.

I've owned the FEH for nearly a year, and it's amazing how much my views have changed in some areas. (BTW, 250 HP and I'm getting 36 MPGs pretty consistantly in the warmer months, 30's in the freezing/below freezing months.)

Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 PM
no more oil

rich

Wow. You have done it again!!!! Never heard of anyone producing 250HP out of a FEH. How did you do it?

Old 05-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Rich for your thoughts.

You are right that I have been indoctrinated to think I need more power than I probably need but the problem I have is one of relativity. When I'm on the road (I live in Los Angeles) I like being able to make fast maneuvers to avoid aggressive drivers. I know that I should take the high road (forgive the pun) and never engage with other drivers but I do like knowing that I can pass someone quickly or go up a hill without feeling the engine struggle (when I had my first car I always lamented at how feeble my car was at climbing hills). Just to know that the power is there is enough-- the rest of the time, I'd be happy to have a very energy efficient, low emissions car.

Change begins with me, however, and my reluctance to engage in radical change is testament to the difficulties of making positive environmental changes across society. In the mean time, I'm hoping that a Lexus with decent mileage and low emissions is a start.... I hope.

Last edited by gerardnc; 05-31-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Just Say No, to more oil

Originally Posted by tomdavie
rich

Wow. You have done it again!!!! Never heard of anyone producing 250HP out of a FEH. How did you do it?

Its another one of those NASCAR FEH's with the Pinocchio syndrome...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/esc...C18603%7C16902

Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

Keep in mind that there are two elements of emissions.

Basically all the smog related ones, for which the Toyota hybrids do incredibly well. You cannot really improve on these cars.

The other is carbon dioxide. You only reduce carbon dioxide by improving gas milage, or driving less. A car that gets twice the MPG of another car will emit one half the carbon dioxide of that other car.

So compare the cars in the class you intend to buy, my guess is the hybrids will win out on MPG.

George

Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

Gerard,
Wow. I could have written your note. But, I'm almost over it. Forget the guilt. Enjoy this wonderful machine, with its low emissions and luxurious, fast ride.
John

Old 05-31-2006, 08:00 PM
no more oil

i agree with john

if we had the money to spare , we would have looked closer at the lexus, as its the same design. Lexus' are fantastic luxury cars. If we wanted just the gas mileage, we would have bought a prius or civic.

enjoy.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 PM
no more oil

Originally Posted by Seadog
Its another one of those NASCAR FEH's with the Pinocchio syndrome...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/esc...C18603%7C16902

Rod - if we had only bought a FEH, we would have got 250HP and 52MPG on average. One time he got 75MPG. ........

I feel like an idiot......

Oh well. Lets just enjoy our loser lives with our highlanders.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomdavie
i agree with john

if we had the money to spare , we would have looked closer at the lexus, as its the same design. Lexus' are fantastic luxury cars. If we wanted just the gas mileage, we would have bought a prius or civic.

enjoy.
We had looked at the Lexus as well, but the kicker for us was the 3rd row seat which you only get in the HiHy. While it's not made for adults, we have a daughter who is now 2 and can see a very clear benefit over the next 4-5 years where she and here friend can fit into it.

Quick Reply: Guilt vs. Lexus RX400h

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands