MPG display accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Need a Plug
Default Re: MPG display accuracy

You guys need some real Heat day after day after day at 110F luck to get 30mpg even with the AC set high, on recirculate and directed at you. 36mpg HA, 40mpg HA HA Ha Ha

Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Something really strange. My readout displayed 41.6 mpg but my calculations gave me 34.83. Traveled 511. miles and fillup took 14.63 gallons. What did i do wrong?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Need a Plug

Maybe you forgot to reset the AVg MPG readout before the weather got hot and the milage went to hell in a hand basket.

Off the subject. I have used the intellegent key to put the windowns doen when I get in. Byt yo can't put them back up unless you turn the car ON . No teven with the key or the window switch unless it's running. Is that true for you all. If so I think it's dumb that you can't put them up. What if you decided to not get in the car. Or you are in the car and want the windows down but don't want to turn it on. Should even the accessory position do the trick

Finall I get tired of turning the car off and having it hang my phone up why doesn't it just transfer the call back to the phone?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Don, it is true with all nissans. My quest and 350z have the same setup. Windows down but not up. Sometimes I just cant understand the stupidity of certain things.
Thanks for your assistance, I will try to reset mpg again for my third tank.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Need a Plug

Yup, That way you can accidentally open the car and put the windows down (great in the rain) but can't put them back up without going out and getting wet. But then in the way it is in the modern world there is some wonderful reason it's that way and our desires are just junk and ignored.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Finished my 3rd tank today, and the calculated MPG is still about 2 less than the instruments. Looks like (for my particular car) the instrument readings are off by a consistent amount - which is good, since now I know how much to correct for it.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

On my last tank the computer said 38.1 and my calculations were 38.0 so I think I’m close enough. Still can't get 40 yet.

I hope the folks who are visiting this forum understand that, despite some quirks, the Altima Hybrid really is a great car.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33
On my last tank the computer said 38.1 and my calculations were 38.0 so I think I’m close enough. Still can't get 40 yet.

I hope the folks who are visiting this forum understand that, despite some quirks, the Altima Hybrid really is a great car.
I got 41mpg (43 by the computer) on my last tank, but only because I had fewer short trips than usual, and almost no highway driving. On individual suburban trips >20 miles, I can reliably get 45mpg or better. Normal commuting falls somewhere in the 35-37mpg range, because the trips are shorter.

I agree, the Altima Hybrid is a great car; it has its peculiarities (like being able to leave the car running when you walk off with the keys), but overall I've been very happy with both the handling and the fuel economy.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

I use both the display and actual calculations. My display reads about 1~1.5mpg higher tank to tank. But, as I recently learned, my ODO is underreporting mileage. I tested two 120 mile sections of freeway. Each time at the 100 mile mark I showed only 97.5, and at 120 miles I showed 117.0. So it's 2.5% low. With that correction, I'm basically right on. Most likely some of that is due to the tire pressure--I've set mine to 38 and the tires are new...so the outer diameter is a bit bigger than perhaps a medium worn tire at 35psi would be. I'll check again in 20k miles!

Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM
igh
NAH Owner

Finally got my first 40 mpg tank on the 7th try and using some
corrections after reading the above email.

I used Google maps and Yahoo maps to verify the miles reported by the trip meter that I use for hand calculation of mpg.

Found that it is reporting 2-3% less consistently. However, no long
trips yet. So most of the errors were noticed in the first decimal place.

This tank was 736 miles for 18.8 gals. Correcting by 2.5% yeilds
754 miles and mpg just goes over 40. I also feel this is due the extra
tire pressure of 42 psi. Dash mpg reported 42.1 mpg. Range went
to --- at 643 miles (uncorrected).

Using same pump in same station for all fillups so far. So fuel +/- should
even out by now unless pump is underreporting fuel (unlikely as the gas
station owner will see to it that it does not). As usual 80% city driving
with no AC.

I have achieved my goal with this car of 40 mpg and one tank a month.
Next step is the plug-in hybrid or full electric sedan. Looking out for the
Chevy Volt, Prius plug-in, Tesla Whitestar, Saturn Vue Greenline plug-in.
Looks like will not happen before 2011. However, that will be the ideal
time to change this car. Who knows there maybe a NAH plug-in using
Nissan's own technology by then.

Quick Reply: MPG display accuracy

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands