Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Nissan Altima Hybrid/Infiniti M35h/ Q50 hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/)
-   -   Poor Mans A/C (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/nissan-altima-hybrid-infiniti-m35h-q50-hybrid-58/poor-mans-c-18419/)

TheSpoils 06-02-2008 06:52 PM

Poor Mans A/C

Try opening the passenger side windows, front and rear, about 3 inches and drive over 40 miles per hour, you get a wind rush on the back of your head. (leave drivers side windows closed) Does not replace AC but in my evening commute home (when weather is cooler) I was able to avoid using AC and remained comfortable.
:D

ILoveChess100 06-03-2008 01:03 AM

Re: Poor Mans A/C

Originally Posted by TheSpoils (Post 174778)
Try opening the passenger side windows, front and rear, about 3 inches and drive over 40 miles per hour, you get a wind rush on the back of your head. (leave drivers side windows closed) Does not replace AC but in my evening commute home (when weather is cooler) I was able to avoid using AC and remained comfortable.
:D

Driving with your windows open increase drag on your car which is often far worse than the energy you consume by using your AC. If you are trying to be more efficient by not using AC and opening the windows instead you might want to research a little deeper into how much energy each consumes :-)

The most efficient way to go is to switch to outside air and let the air thats flowing in cool you down (doesn't increase drag), though, personally, I can't stand the exhausts of all the non-hybrids infront of me.

HybridVue 06-03-2008 05:50 AM

Rule of thumb - under 45mph roll the windows down - over 45mpg use the AC. :)

steved28 06-03-2008 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 (Post 174819)
Driving with your windows open increase drag on your car which is often far worse than the energy you consume by using your AC. .

This is a myth, actually disproven on mythbusters! Under controlled track conditions they rode identical vehicles on 1 gallon of gasoline. The car using the A/C ran out of gas many laps before the one with the windows down.

TheSpoils 06-03-2008 08:21 AM

Putting FE aside:zip:, I thought it was interesting how the ergonomics in the cabin allowed a vortex to develop so precisely. Just give it a try and see what I mean.

HybridVue 06-03-2008 08:24 AM

Here is the exact information:

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode22

Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down. partly confirmed*

Tests were performed under varying conditions (55 mph versus 45 mph). The 55 mph test used a computer to estimate fuel efficiency based on air intake, not actual fuel consumption, and showed A/C was more efficient. The 45 mph test consisted of running the tank until it was empty, and showed open windows were more efficient.

*Because the original tests were inconclusive, this "urban puzzle" was revisited in episode 38:
It is more fuel efficient to use air conditioning when the car is traveling approximately 50mph or more.
Otherwise, windows are more fuel efficient.

My Rule of thumb - under 45mph roll the windows down - over 45mpg use the AC. :D

ILoveChess100 06-04-2008 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by HybridVue (Post 174862)
Here is the exact information:

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode22

Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down. partly confirmed*

Tests were performed under varying conditions (55 mph versus 45 mph). The 55 mph test used a computer to estimate fuel efficiency based on air intake, not actual fuel consumption, and showed A/C was more efficient. The 45 mph test consisted of running the tank until it was empty, and showed open windows were more efficient.

*Because the original tests were inconclusive, this "urban puzzle" was revisited in episode 38:
It is more fuel efficient to use air conditioning when the car is traveling approximately 50mph or more.
Otherwise, windows are more fuel efficient.

My Rule of thumb - under 45mph roll the windows down - over 45mpg use the AC. :D

Fair enough, though I don't think at mythbusters they tested an NAH which does not run the AC off the ICE but instead its all electric. Also I didn't read anything about what temperatures outside and inside the car these tests were performed at. It may be possible that the AC kept the interior 20 degrees cooler than the exterior temperature while the windows open it would have been the same temperature inside and out, so not a fair comparison :P

steved28 06-05-2008 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 (Post 175197)
an NAH which does not run the AC off the ICE but instead its all electric.

I was wondering about this. If this is the case, all bets are off with regard to any testing of a pulley driven system, I agree. I knew the Pruis had the electric compressor, but I didn't know if the NAH incorporated this. I feel much better about running the AC.