Winter Radiator Blocker

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter Radiator Blocker

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
I noticed without the block, while coasting in EV, that if i turn on the heat (auto) the engine kicks in, if I then turn the heater off, it goes back into EV. I makes a huge difference. Good luck with your winter, stay warm.
Yup - I notice that sometimes even with the block. Sucks. Usually, it's because the engine temp drops below 161F on my scangauge.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

This Thread is the same as a previous thread called Grill block I hope everyone reads both to get a beter way to hold heat in.

Has anyone just tried unpluging your radiator fan? Seems like around town you would reduce heat loss and on the highway the 60mph air would be enough to cool off the over temp.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Seems like sometimes the most overlooked option is the easiest one. Can you provide info on the safest way to disconnect the radiator fan? (fuse, connector.. etc)

Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Seems like sometimes the most overlooked option is the easiest one. Can you provide info on the safest way to disconnect the radiator fan? (fuse, connector.. etc)
It would certainly be easy to do, but I'm not sure it's wise. As I understand it, the fan only comes on when the water temp is above 200F, or so. At that point, you WANT it to come on, with or without a grill block, no?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Let me start by saying I'm still researching this lack of heat problem and I'm just thinking out loud.With that said.

From what I understand there are two fans with two separate disconnect plugs.
One fan comes on at around 170F and the other is a high temp and comes on around 210F this is for stop & go traffic in the summer with the A/C on.
IN WINTER
The engine is cycling on /off only so we can get heat otherwise if your heat ***** are off the engine shuts off.

So Now the point is to have all the engine's heat loss to be coming in the car and not just blowing in the outside wind.
I don't want to burn out the fan by blocking it's air flow and having the fan running.
Have you ever taken air away from a fan ? it begins to labor and get hot quick.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you find the 170F disconnect plug, please let us know!