Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

$100 Barrell Oil By end of next week??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: $100 Barrell Oil By end of next week??!!??

<-- Darn it, it's going to cost me an extra $2.00 to fill up.....

Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Part Time Hybrids

It's funny but the oil prices make me think to the "crisis" of oil in that Tom Clancy novels, Debt of Honor and Executive Orders. Oil spiked 90 a barrel and all of a sudden it was a massive national crisis. Odd how here its really happening and without an outbreak of economic warfare.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Look at the bright side: The higher the price of gas, the more our HCHs are worth!

If gas goes high enough, we'll wind up selling our cars for MORE than we paid!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Look at the bright side: The higher the price of gas, the more our HCHs are worth!

Maybe the government should tax this windfall.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Hybrid Owner

It's definately on its way up...2 weeks ago it was $2.79/gal locally....last week it was $2.89, and I just filled up at $2.99/gal

Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Bring it on!

I can't wait to watch the Yukon drivers cry.
I'm not looking forward to higher oil prices. Sure the Yukon drivers will cry and that will be a direct effect. But if you don't think you're going to be affected via increased inflation from trucks paying higher rates for fuel and this isn't going to cycle through the economy you're wrong.

Higher oil prices = we all cry. It just takes longer for us to as we're somewhat protected from intermediate shocks.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have to agree with you. We all do in the end suffer from higher gas & oil prices. While part of me does enjoy seeing all the SUV drivers complain and moan at the pump, it also puts more of a hurting on my budget as well.

One classic example of the higher gas prices trickling down to consumers, is from my trash company. They charge $X/3months PLUS a "fuel surcharge". I hate it, but they all do it here, and base it on gas price of $2/gal (as if we'll see that price again anytime soon). I wish they'd just up the price of the service, and if gas falls lower, refund it back to me at the end of the 3 months. Atleast that way I know what my "max" pay amount is.

Anyway, in the end, it's all based on global supply and demand. The supply isn't going up as fast as the demand is. I hate paying more for anything if I don't have to, but you pay more for one thing, and cut something else out of you budget.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik

I have already done that.
I bought my 2004 HCH for $19,300 and sold it two years later for $21,000.
No joke.

Then I got a $2100 tax credit on my 2006 HCH which I got for $1000 under MSRP.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wick1ert

Anyway, in the end, it's all based on global supply and demand. The supply isn't going up as fast as the demand is. I hate paying more for anything if I don't have to, but you pay more for one thing, and cut something else out of you budget.
The scary part is the supply isn't going up at all. It has plateaued around 85mm bb/day and most of the easy oil is being depleted at a rate of 4.5%/year.

Just wait until we have both effects working on the price: increasing demand and decreasing supply. Then we're going to see some really shocking prices.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hate to say it but it looks like I was right, I filled up over the weekend. I believe the markets were closed yesterday but oil has already shot up this morning to nearly $98.50!!!! Almost $3 up!!!! For it to be this high this early in the year is not a good sign. I have friends who also watch this sort of thing and they think that $5 a gallon (premium) is not out of question by summer's end. I think more likely $4-$4.30ish but still, ouch. I feel for those who have businesses that they run with trucks etc that will be significantly affected by this but as a previous commentor pointed out there is a trickle effect, we'll all end up sharing the burden. I'm not happy gas is shooting up towards 100/barrell but I feel vindicated for getting rid of my gas guzzling v8 4x4 for the HCH2.....and now my friends who made fun of me are probably going to seriously consider trading in their Bimmer's (god forbid) for a prius or HCH or some high fuel economy vehicle.

Quick Reply: $100 Barrell Oil By end of next week??!!??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands