Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/)
-   -   GreenHybrid's Frapper Member's Map! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/greenhybrids-frapper-members-map-4274/)

Delta Flyer 10-22-2005 05:36 PM

GreenHybrid's Frapper Member's Map!

Jason & moderators, I hope this is OK with you.

Click > http://www.frappr.com/greenhybrid

Don't worry if you live outside North America - if you enter your name, it will scroll to anywhere in the world except Antartica (maybe that's on Frapper 2.0 :D )

To make an entry, put your name or nickname, zip code/postal code/City, then a message. Picture is optional.

Cool thing is it has three views:
  • Map
  • Satellite
  • Hybrid (all of the above)
You can zoom in if you get the urge to say, see the Golden Gate Bridge, or Washington Monment from space. Note that the resolution varies for security reasons, etc....

I just wish my car was parked in front of my house when the picture of my neighboorhood was taken

nitramjr 10-22-2005 05:45 PM

Re: GreenHybrid's Frapper Member's Map!

You can also use Google Earth to get the same photos. It is easier to use although it won't have the member's list.

The photo of my house is a few years old - I can tell by what was parked in my driveway. If this kinda resolution is available for free, imagine what the government has access too.:omg:

Jason 10-22-2005 05:48 PM

Looks interesting. I went ahead and added myself.

Delta Flyer 10-22-2005 05:49 PM

I noticed that most metro areas have higher resolution in the US, with the obvious exception of the White House. I could not see The Parliment or Buckingham Palace in London, again security reasons.

tbaleno 10-22-2005 07:50 PM

Thread moved to Anything Goes and stickied. Now lets all start populating that map.

helterskelter683 10-22-2005 09:45 PM

Great idea! How cool to start seeing pins pop up!

Schwa 10-22-2005 10:15 PM

What a piece of junk! It doesn't have my city. :(

I'll just use the Vancouver since nobody really cares about the 'burbs. :P

tbaleno 10-22-2005 10:18 PM

heh

Pravus Prime 10-22-2005 10:54 PM

Added!

rigger 10-23-2005 08:59 AM

I'm on.

Hmmmmm, did you get this idea from another site? :angel: Nice Chuck, This is cool. Neat to have a map like this.

Delta, I'll be your way on Turkey Day. Around the North Richland Hills area.

Delta Flyer 10-23-2005 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by rigger
I'm on.

Hmmmmm, did you get this idea from another site? :angel: Nice Chuck, This is cool. Neat to have a map like this.

Delta, I'll be your way on Turkey Day. Around the North Richland Hills area.

Someone did this to me at my pet site: www.spencerthelion.com and another site I visit as well.

Hot_Georgia_2004 10-23-2005 10:03 AM

Very nice feature!
I wanted to keep my exact location hidden so I put in the Zip for a nearby city. :embarass:

laurie 10-23-2005 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Jason & moderators, I hope this is OK with you.

Click > http://www.frappr.com/greenhybrid

Don't worry if you live outside North America - if you enter your name, it will scroll to anywhere in the world except Antartica (maybe that's on Frapper 2.0 :D )

To make an entry, put your name or nickname, zip code/postal code/City, then a message. Picture is optional.

Cool thing is it has three views:
  • Map
  • Satellite
  • Hybrid (all of the above)
You can zoom in if you get the urge to say, see the Golden Gate Bridge, or Washington Monment from space. Note that the resolution varies for security reasons, etc....

I just wish my car was parked in front of my house when the picture of my neighboorhood was taken

sorry, i managed to get my name and photo on there, but can't get the map
:(

inFiniTE LooP 12-08-2005 04:37 AM

you have to zoom out to see me, but i'm on there :) . the lone soul in hawaii apparently :embarass: , but there are a TON of hybrids (on this island anyway), they all need to get switched on to this site :shade:

Civic Duty 12-08-2005 06:08 AM

Wow, that's a great idea. How have I not read this thread until now?

I'm in!

bar10dah 12-14-2005 08:59 PM

Only two of us in PHX that posted?? Come on guys! Represent! :)

bluesesshomaru17 01-06-2006 12:31 AM

I added, thought maybe bumping this up would help the newer people notice it more. I actually downloaded google earth because of this thread, rather interesting. My area isn't too detailed ... wonder if there is something 'top secret' that we don't know about here:P I did try to find things that were security issues ... such as 'area 51' ... there are some wierd circles of black and green in that area. It is amazing the resolution, seeing cars (in process) switching lanes on freeways, waves and people on the beach. I can't imagine what they have if this is what is public!!!

bar10dah 01-06-2006 02:31 PM

Not that I know anything about it, but I've heard U2 aircraft and imaging satellites can determine the type of beer you're drinking while you're sitting in your backyard...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/ne...217-u-2-01.htm

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/...lleLouis.shtml

bluesesshomaru17 01-06-2006 06:51 PM

that was interesting ... 5cm resolution?!! and that is what is released ...

IMHO, that is a little scary:omg: . I am sure with the technology they can see inside of buildings, like they can do underground imaging from satellites for geological purposes. Oh, I mean 'Big Brother' is only there to help you ...:zip: My teachers had me read too many political books like Alas, Babylon, and Farenheit 451 hehe :angel:

rigger 01-06-2006 07:18 PM

I hate veering really off-topic but the Global Security website burns me. Too much important info that is easily accessible to anyone with a computer.

As far as government coverups etc. No such thing as far as I know :angel::zip: .

Delta Flyer 02-19-2006 08:30 PM

I have looked at various places, such as my home, my workplace, etc.... Some lightly populated areas don't have as good a resolution. Some landmarks (in places like Washington D.C.) are a bit fuzzy for apparent security reasons.

philmcneal 03-10-2006 06:48 PM

very cool, it seems the hypermilers are more on the edge of the map than in the middle.

Hot_Georgia_2004 03-11-2006 11:36 AM

For some reason my location in Atlanta keeps dissappearing.

John M. Dwyer 03-12-2006 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
For some reason my location in Atlanta keeps dissappearing.

You might try zooming in a little.

My shout-outs sometimes don't show on the initial resolution, but put in an appearance when I close in on their locations.

Some of the problem may be due to being hidden by other shout-outs. But one of mine is not within 200 miles of any other, and still does not display sometimes until I zoom in.

BigTuna 08-19-2009 06:01 PM

Several threads have spam as their last post. This causes the spam posts to show up on the main contents page even though the spammers have been banned. Copies of this post will serve as a place holders to remove the spammers from the contents page. If they bother anyone I'll delete them after the threads resume normal activity.

GreenBoy 10-17-2010 03:06 PM

It's a great idea but how about Google earth we can also see that there if I'm not mistaken and it easy that way.