Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

State of the Union

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Site Founder
Default State of the Union

The State of the Union speech is tonight. I'm really hoping Bush says something other than a whole load of nothing. I already know he's a terrible speaker, but if he actually says something new, watching the event will be worthwhile!

Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
The State of the Union speech is tonight. I'm really hoping Bush says something other than a whole load of nothing. I already know he's a terrible speaker, but if he actually says something new, watching the event will be worthwhile!
There just hasn't been enough time for new policies to actually be put to the road, so I'm afraid there won't be a whole lot of new stuff he is going to share. It will be easier and faster to read the transcript off from one of the news web sites out there than to watch it this evening. All the clapping and introductions are pretty much unnecessary and you can visually run through a printed speach faster than you can hear it being said.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Red
Default Bush

Wouldn't it be great if he would talk about smaller Government, Social Security reform, abolishing the IRS in favor of a flat tax, returning power to the states, personal responsibility, tort reform, etc. Perhaps I am asleep already and dreaming.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Site Founder

Haha, I agree wholeheartedly with you both!

You know, I really need to get rich somehow. I wouldn't retire early, but I would like to become a politician. I'd show them how to get stuff done.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Red
Wouldn't it be great if he would talk about smaller Government, Social Security reform, abolishing the IRS in favor of a flat tax, returning power to the states, personal responsibility, tort reform, etc. Perhaps I am asleep already and dreaming.
More power to you. I totally agree. Although right now I'm not very happy with my state. They seem to be getting more liberal all the time. I'm afraid of what freedom from the fed would casue in Washington. So, I'm happy with my local congressional rep and the rest of the east side reps and continue to feel more inclined toward the fed than my own state. Too bad really. Washington is a nice place to live. Its terrible that it is being turned into California.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good question there, why do you have to be rich to be a politician? I know its true, but it just shouldnt be that way. Somethin's gotta give.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Site Founder

First off, you need the social status in order to gain popularity among other politicians and powerful people. You need the capital to support yourself when no one else will. Also, not every public job pays a fortune -- they aren't even reliable.

In my opinion, it's a flaw in the system, but that's the way it goes.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:26 PM

Nice speech.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Site Founder

I think he delivered it much better than he did in the past. He didn't seem quite as nervous. What really bothers me, though, is the outright partisanship both at the floor of the House and in the post-State speeches by party leaders. The opposing party, who obviously wrote the speech before the State even took place, always attack the president for his stance. Can't they wait a day before the go on with their political agenda? Don't they agree with anything?? It's another flaw in our representative democracy: the two party system. There isn't such thing as friendly competition when the stakes are high. And, it's too bad.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:46 PM

There are still some good politicians out there but the leadership of both parties seem too hardcore and basicly only exist to serve the party and not to serve the people.

Quick Reply: State of the Union

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands