HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

DC/DC Converter, IMA Control Unit, ABS Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast
Question DC/DC Converter, IMA Control Unit, ABS Control Unit

I have a 2003 HCH with 78000 miles on it. I just had to replace my DC/DC converter due to corrosion for $1500. I tried to argue that my first battery went out after 3 years and it could have been caused by this unit (when the converter was still under warranty). I had a second battery go out after 2 years, and this is my third after 1 year. Seems like a pattern to me, dating back to the first, but they didn't buy it. Any one know of issues with this part? I'd really like to get out of this charge.

This ast February the IMA light came on and they replaced my IMA and ABS control units. Fortunately the IMA was under warranty and they gave me the ABS on "goodwill". I think this repair would have run near $3000+ if I had to pay it.

I also had the catalytic converter replaced this summer, but that was under warranty. It would have been $1000 or so.

So my car has undergone $5500+ in repairs this year, at only 78000 miles! Though I didn't pay most of it, I'm very worried about keeping this car much longer since I'm running out of the warranty period. Each repair has been very costly and I'm afraid of the future. I can't afford these costs on a single income, with a family coming, and my husband in school.

Do you think I've just had an unlucky year and it will be trouble free for awhile (and how long)? Maybe I've replaced all of the expensive stuff already. Or do you think I should trade this guy in for a new, cheaper to maintain "normal" car? I'm very afraid of the day the hybrid batteries go out. I want to support hybrid, green, technology but I don't know if I can afford it until it develops further.

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: DC/DC Converter, IMA Control Unit, ABS Control Unit

Sounds like you've had quite a bad year. Have you owned this Civic since new?
If not, I'd trade it in on a new 2007 (or 2008) Civic Hybrid. They're quite nice

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree with Steve!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I've had this hybrid from the start. I actually found out the DC-DC converter is covered by the IMA Warranty but they claim that it didn't fail, it corroded and corrosion doesn't count under the warranty. I think that's lame and want to see it in writing some where. In the meantime I called up Honda America and they're looking into it too.

I was thinking about the Prius before, but I want a car I can own for 10 years. I'm scared any Hybrid will just start to fall apart after 5 years, like this one has.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There should be no corrosion on a car that new. If there is I would think it a design flow. Poor air circulation or something along that line. Keep on them! Body corrosion is covered for 10 years I believe. H

Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 PM

If it is part of the hybrid system, the minimum warranty is 8 years/80,000 miles. In CA and some other states it is higher.

It sounds fishy to me that they say they won't cover the system because "corrosion" isn't covered. if it is only corrosion, then tell them to clean it up. Most important systems are sealed from the weather, so this shouldn't happen. Try another dealer if you fail with this one.

If it is any consolation, I haven't heard of anyone having this much trouble. So, you might just be unlucky.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Just bought this car at a car sale not knowing it was a hybrid boy did they sucker me. What I've read the 2003 are all problems with the IMA about 2000 Dollors I can't afford that they took my thousand Dollors I had been saving for almost 2 years to get a car for a lemon.the repair is double what I paid for this car thank you bama auto sales in fort payne alabama an more to stacy auto sales in oxford Alabama.they all have money an cars I don't! It means nothing to them that I still don't have a car that I can trust to go to the store or doctor.an thank you Honda u need to all be suited!