Audio Nav System Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Audio Nav System Replacement

Hey,

I have had nothing but issues with the rear seats DVD system and think that the tech in the dash unit is seriously lacking for a vehicle of this caliber.

Anyone had success with aftermarket systems, and does anyone have any pictures of the install??

I am planning either Kenwood, JVC, or Pioneer for the front and likely Clairion for the DVD in the back... Planning to keep the JBL speakers and amp.

Cheers

Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Audio Nav System Replacement

Hi. I've just got a 2011 HiHy and am looking to replace the stereo with aftermarket 10.2'' Android.
I have JBL sound but no navigation.
Any luck for you replacing your stereo?
Are regular Highlander stereos compatible to HiHY?
Thx

Old 01-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No. You will lose bunch of info when switching to aftermarket. Your best bet is to go to toyotanation HiHy forum. There is consolidated thread on headunit replacements. No matter what you WILL lose data you have access to via nav screen now. Some don't care though.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast

Ok. I've ended up going with this system:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073F1FB9C
SYGAV Android 7.1.1 Nougat Car Stereo Video Player for Toyota Highlander 2008-2012 Quad Core 10.2 Inch In-dash 2 Din 1024x600 GPS Nav Sat with Wifi Bluetooth Radio
And of cause I wasn't able to connect it myself.
I went to Best Buy auto sound and they've done a great job connecting it using

RadioPRO Radio Replacement Interface Designed for Select 2001-2016 Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicle models

PART NUMBER: RP4.2-TY11 from pac-audio.com
The installation price was $270.
All of my hybrid related stuff are working, including the disp button on a steering wheel, the small screen on top still has the backup camera.
My steering wheel controls are working as well (despite promises from installers that it won't work) - I just had to set it up through the settings.
They had to cut all of the connectors that were in the unit and manually connect about 17 wires.
The sound quality is way better then the factory JBL stereo.
BTW, the Ballance control works for both, left/right and front/rear.
I'm very happy with the unit OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($20) with Torque Pro app ($5) is a great add-on feature!

The unit also has 2 AV out, supports aftermarket camera, has HDMI out as well!

Last edited by Anton Bortnyk; 01-28-2018 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Gramma
Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM

That's dandy, Antosha, but it still does not show what OEM nav screen does for hybrid. Though you do have decent substitute. Also, try logging into diagnostic screen now. Easy do. Press and hold Info button, press Start button twice, then start flipping light stalk back for. All the way to lights on - back to off. 3-4 times. That's when diagnostic menu shows on nav display.
See what happens.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:34 PM

I see. Basically, you have something like Torque app display. Does it actually work? As in - connected to ECU data?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Yes the Torque Pro works just fine. It automatically detected my OBDII that was already connected through bluetooth.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

I don't have a push button - it's HiHy Base with backup camera, leather sits and moon roof.
So the regular key is the only thing that makes me upset. I wish I could upgrade to a push button

Last edited by Anton Bortnyk; 01-31-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Gramma
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Oh. Then it's absolutely beautiful upgrade. great job. Looks nice and clean and is much more functional than base head unit. Kudos.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 PM

Giving you warning on BT dongles. I had this issue with both of my hybrids - Camry and Hihy.
I had cheap ebay dongle and after about a month of driving with it and Torque connected, ABS light came up. So I reset it and it came up again after 2-3 days. Reset - same thing. After some search, I found that BT dongles without cable may cause this issue. I removed dongle, reset ABS light - that was it.
Out of curiosity, I plugged same dongle into my HiHY. Same exact story. People say that cabled BT adapters do not cause this problem, only ones that plug directly into OBD port.
FYI.