HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2007 Civic Hybrid CVT Fluid Change Flush DIY Very Easy Applies to 2006-2011

Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Civic Hybrid CVT Fluid Change Flush DIY Very Easy Applies to 2006-2011

Hello i am new to this site as i just bought a 2007 hybrid. Anyways I performed a cvt fluid flush today. it was very easy I have an image to share because it tells a story. Ask me anything you got trouble with or questions with because i will be doing all kinds of preventative maintenance to keep my honda running like new.

About the CVT fluid change: Very simple to do it by yourself. usually one has to only use 3 quarts to do a fluid change every 30,000 miles but when i bought the car the owner did not change it for 114,000 miles so i had to do a flush meaning changing it 3 times. I had to use 13 quarts. Each drain and fill took about 3.3 quarts of fluid. Between each drain and fill i took the car for a drive in city and on highway for about 10 miles.

Here is the picture i was talking about: In this image you will see what tools are needed, short description of what i performed. It also shows before and after images of cvt fluid condition. puts into perspective why one should change the every fluid on time as required to avoid costly repairs.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/...luidchange.jpg

you can see how dirty the fluid was and how clean it is now after draining it 3 times. Next time, after 30,000 miles, i will only use 3.3 quarts instead of using 13 quarts as I did this time.

let me know if you have trouble seeing the image. I have to figure out how to work this thread.
Name:  CVTFluidchange.jpg
Views: 22185
Size:  230.2 KB

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Civic Hybrid CVT Fluid Change Flush DIY Very Easy Applies to 2006-2011-cvt-fluid.jpg  

Last edited by 07civichybrid; 04-28-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid CVT Fluid Change Flush DIY Very Easy Applies to 2006-2011

You probably should change whenever the M/M indicates that you have to. Mine tells me it is time at about 30,000 Kilometers. I think if I remember correctly it is indicated by the # 4 or #3? Nice post! H

Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid CVT Fluid Change Flush DIY Very Easy Applies to 2006-2011

I know this thread is old but I wanted to add my own observations:

I just did a CVT fluid change on a 2006 HCH with just 28K miles. CVT fluid has never been changed as far as I can tell.

I did a drain and fill of 3qt, and the first drain looks like the OP's "first drain" picture in color. Additionally, the magnet on my drain plug was completely covered with black fuzz.
I did another drain and fill of 3qt a week later; it looks like the OP's "flush #1"picture.
At this point, the magnet on my drain plug had some black fuzz.

Based on my observations and this post, I may do another drain!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by gafortiby
I know this thread is old but I wanted to add my own observations:

I just did a CVT fluid change on a 2006 HCH with just 28K miles. CVT fluid has never been changed as far as I can tell.

I did a drain and fill of 3qt, and the first drain looks like the OP's "first drain" picture in color. Additionally, the magnet on my drain plug was completely covered with black fuzz.
I did another drain and fill of 3qt a week later; it looks like the OP's "flush #1"picture.
At this point, the magnet on my drain plug had some black fuzz.

Based on my observations and this post, I may do another drain!
I would agree 100% on a 3rd change 1-2 weeks after the second. From that point continue to replace the fluid every other oil change. This will put you on a 12-15000 mile replacement schedule. Changing fluid is really the only thing that you can do to keep a CVT healthy. $30 every 12-15000 miles is worth it to me.

On HCH1 and Insight, you can drop the pan and replace an internal filter as well as clean off a larger magnet on the wall of the CVT. I haven't done this myself, but I plan to give it a shot on the higher mileage HCH2.

On another matter, it seems that you've switched to IC for your charge/discharge efforts. It would be nice to post the results in your 4 mile hill thread when you're done.

Steve

Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

The CVT filter on HCH II looks to be external to the pan, it is actually an in-line filter.

In my old Subaru I actually unplugged the ATF oil line while the engine was running to do a self-forced flush and this might also be possible safely with the HCHII. Not sure, not really worth investigating since 3 drain-fills gets 90% of the fluid. That was not true with the Subby.

Dropping the pan is not a bad idea though, there might be a lot of gunk in there that you can manually clean out by wiping the surfaces clean. However I noticed that the CVT drain plug is located below the pan which pretty much guarantees that you get all/most of the fluid from the pan out. In some pans the plug location guarantees that 1/4qt remains in the pan but HCHII pan looks like it won't have much left after a drain on level ground.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NSMISSION+CASE

You can see two more magnets (items 6 & 7 on the inside of the pan), and I think you're right...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NK&vinsrch=yes

Item 19 appears to be an inline filter.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NSMISSION+CASE

You can see two more magnets (items 6 & 7 on the inside of the pan), and I think you're right...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NK&vinsrch=yes

Item 19 appears to be an inline filter.
Oh didn't know about the extra magnets in the pan. Yes it would be nice to clean those out so that they can grab new shavings instead of holding on to old shavings.

Official Honda service manual (I caved and bought a CD from eBay) gives you step by step on replacing the inline CVT fluid filter. As you can imagine it is dead simple. But it appears to be one of those "lifetime" parts? If it is anything like the Insight CVT filter it probably could use a replacement.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...vt-filter.html

Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by gafortiby
Oh didn't know about the extra magnets in the pan. Yes it would be nice to clean those out so that they can grab new shavings instead of holding on to old shavings.

Official Honda service manual (I caved and bought a CD from eBay) gives you step by step on replacing the inline CVT fluid filter. As you can imagine it is dead simple. But it appears to be one of those "lifetime" parts? If it is anything like the Insight CVT filter it probably could use a replacement.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...vt-filter.html
LOL... I did the same... CD Manual off eBay. I never thought to check it. I swear when I don't have a hard copy, I have a hard time remembering to "check the manual."

Honestly, I think the purpose of running the CVT fluid through the radiator is to heat it rather than cool it. Even after extended driving, my fluid is only warm to the touch. Cooler weather/cooler fluid seems to create engagement issues on both cars.

I'm replacing that ba$tard.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
LOL... I did the same... CD Manual off eBay. I never thought to check it. I swear when I don't have a hard copy, I have a hard time remembering to "check the manual."

Honestly, I think the purpose of running the CVT fluid through the radiator is to heat it rather than cool it. Even after extended driving, my fluid is only warm to the touch. Cooler weather/cooler fluid seems to create engagement issues on both cars.

I'm replacing that ba$tard.
You can put a magnefine in there instead. I like the in-line magnet idea.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2437581

EDIT: Not a straight swap though, non-oem filter may not fit the clamp, so it could dangle loose.

Last edited by gafortiby; 08-28-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Hmmm... How would that work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Civic Hybrid CVT Fluid Change Flush DIY Very Easy Applies to 2006-2011

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands