post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get there!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Default post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get there!

post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get there!

I think my escalade hybrid will match or even outmatch the reliability of my honda. it already has 100k miles plus change. Issues? my rear engine oil leak which was not really noticeable but annoying was fixed by an oil pan gasket replacement by warranty. transmission, engine, brakes, differentials and transfercase has been superb.

since this has a timing chain drive, no worries about every 60k mile timing belt service. water pump said to be leaking-not really noticed it, also under warranty. had my front coil over struts replaced after it leaked at 90k miles.

navigation took awhile to guide directions and since I had gmpp majorguard, replaced with no questions which was nice since it had the newer graphics.

the usual actuator which pops up early and no issues after that.

after driving it this long, I'll probably keep it since it has proven to be worthy of lasting longer

Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get ther

Now that everything is well broken in, what kind of fuel economy are you getting? Your 2009 is more rare since they ditched the 3.42 axle after 2009. Only Eskies had 3.42 and only 2009.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 08-28-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Default Re: post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get ther

I get 25 highway and 18-19 city at normal pace. this is at 4wd auto. I find that putting it in 2wd makes the steering light and with the pace that I drive, don't want a spin-out

Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

btw, I find that it makes no difference in mileage whether I put it in 4wd auto or 2wd mode. maybe if I hypermile will it be noticeable.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, so not quite 100k, but 98k and some issues on the way: The AFM engine curse dealing with the tiny screen under the oil pressure sender.
Driving down the road on a 100 mile trip, and oil pressure drops slowly to about 5 psi. I pull over, shut it off, and start it up. Back to 45 lbs, then after 10 miles I'm back to 5 lbs. I manage to get it home, driving the last 5 miles on electric only. (Mine will hold 29 1/2 MPH for a long time if it's charged well!)
Under warranty, Ryan Chev in Buffalo, MN did the work in a day and have been VERY helpful along the way. Haven't had an oil issue since, and I do use synthetic at 5k to 7.5k intervals. (LOTS of highway driving.)

Had an unknown issue where I took off from a right hand turn to merge into traffic and the thing just outright shut down. No power steering, engine is off, no power brakes (They bled out like when I shut it off with the key). "Service Hybrid System" and "Service Power Steering" are in the display, and check engine light is on.

I got it off the road and into a church lot, and got it to start again after a couple minutes. Tow is on the way, so I killed time by replicating the problem 4 or 5 more times. Runs normally until hard acceleration then it shuts down. Get it to the dealer and it will NOT do it again. They drove it for 3 days and couldn't get it to shut down. I've spoken with a number of people and they haven't heard of that happening before. No useful codes in the computer, just generic "Power loss" codes that come when the engine shuts down unexpectedly. Makes me wonder if the dealer didn't pull codes correctly or if Hybrid codes are in a different menu of some sort. (Not Ryan Chev, so I can only guess how competent the techs were on the hybrid breed.)

Long story shortened, got the fine luxury of paying for the tow, the diagnostic time, and the 3 days of rental on my dime as they couldn't replicate the problem. That was 2 months ago, and it hasn't happened since. Guess I'll just leave it be, and if it happens again leave the thing running on the flatbed on the way to the dealer.

Last big thing is that lately it's smoked on startup after sitting 4+ hours. A sizeable poof of blue, so I know its oil but I don't know if it's from a valve seal or remnants of the low oil pressure issue causing the rings to wear prematurely. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one, because my PT warranty is up very soon and I'd be doing the engine rebuild myself if it is something major. (I don't have time...I do have tools and skills for it though.)

Two other small issues, one is that I still slap my forehead thinking of who thought it was OK to not install a spare on a full size SUV. I'd like to slap them on the forehead.

The other is the awesome GM door lock actuators, I've had 2 die so far and have yet to tear into them to see if I can come up with a better fix. Just annoying really.

Beyond all that, I love the luxury of this truck, the ride is good if not a bit numb to the world. It tows my 26' camper without too much trouble (not really good gearing for this but it goes) and gets 18-19 in the winter and 21 in the summer on average. I've run 25-26 on long country drives with a full vehicle on a nice day. AMAzing for a full size. My 2 year old watches movies in the back happily, and the miles just wander away under you. The 30-75MPH time is excellent, as it doesn't have to change modes it pulls like my Sierra Denali did but at half the fuel cost. Now if only we could get that mode change down to a reasonable .2 seconds or so, it would run 0-60 in the low to mid 7 seconds.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm in the 60's and still like this thing quite a bit. I've had the transmission rebuilt (warranty) but it is still having issues in the 20-30 MPH range. It shifts poorly and can't always decide the gear it wants.

MPG runs around 20 city, a bit more highway and 15 towing my 20' steel car trailer, car, tires, tools, etc. Can't complain. My '01 Yukon got 9-12 MPG.

I hate the fact that the entire front of the truck is one piece. It is expensive. If you hook the airdam real well and pull it back, $250 plastic bumper mounts break. If you tap something just right you crack the bumper cover (have you ever seen how small the bumper really is under that thing?)

What I'd love to know is if the radio is really different between the ones that have traffic and those that don't or is it some form of software change? Hmmmmmm. . .

Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dslade if a service hybrid message popped up, then there should have been codes. Unfortunately many dealers first clear codes and then see what pops back up. If they did not clear codes, and it was not too long ago, there may be Freeze Frame data to still aquire. Many only read the engine computer.

I suggest a trip to a trusted dealer and log that blue smoke event. There may be a service bulletin they can reference about that. While you are there ask to see if they can read for history and or freeze frame codes in engine and hybrid computers.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

I had the issue of service engine and stabilitrak system and the escalade would actually go to a complete stop and would not start. after checking everything I could not figure it out. the second time it happened, it was really serious and would not turn at all with the same check engine/stabilitrak error. then I notice the 4wd **** is in 4wd low. I turned off the engine and after a few minutes, restarted it, put the **** in 4wd auto and the error messages went away. I guess my 7 year old son would sit in the driver seat while I go to the store while my wife and kidsare in the car with the engine running but the emergency brakes engaged and he would tinker with the 4wd **** like change it from 2wd-4wd-4wd high-4wd lo and when I came back to drive it gave me the errors. after I figured it out, it never happened again, ever!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Dslade if a service hybrid message popped up, then there should have been codes. Unfortunately many dealers first clear codes and then see what pops back up. If they did not clear codes, and it was not too long ago, there may be Freeze Frame data to still aquire. Many only read the engine computer.

I suggest a trip to a trusted dealer and log that blue smoke event. There may be a service bulletin they can reference about that. While you are there ask to see if they can read for history and or freeze frame codes in engine and hybrid computers.
That's what will likely happen, as I need to have something documented before I hit 100k so that I have half a chance at getting the work done under warranty. Lifters may be in my future, depending on the damage they took while low on oil pressure.

The only dealer I reasonably trust still doesn't know a whole lot; not many Hybrids out in Minnesota it seems. I had to correct them on the matter of what is downstream of the small screen under the oil pressure sender; they initially told me that there was nothing downstream and seemed a bit baffled when I said that the AFM lifters and oil pressure sender were and could have been starved of oil.

I will see if there is anything in history, but I'm thinking it was too long ago and has since been erased. Sucks that GM only reimburses for warranty tows to the nearest dealer; the one I trust is 50+ miles from where I normally drive.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

Well I have 92k miles and only owned it for a couple of months and its been the worst vehicle I've ever owned. After driving it home the vehicle jolt chugs and shudder every other day. Then it finally breaks down and had a misfire in the number 4 cyl. So I took it to the dealer and figure that was causing the jolt chug and shuddering problem and the problem is still there after they found that the number 4 intake lifter failed. I brought it back to the dealer after one day of driving and it started to jolt again. They said they could not do anything until it threw a check engine so I called GM and gave them a piece of my mind and I should be expecting a call from their manager within 24hrs to resolve this problem.So 100k I might not get there or sell this thing before then if the problem cannot be solved.

Quick Reply: post if you have 100k miles in your GM hybrid and what issues you had to get there!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands