HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Replacing Transmission and Engine Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Replacing Transmission and Engine Mounts?

Hello everyone!

Just got my IMA battery replaced under warranty (thank you, CA!), and the dealer called me to mention my 'Transmission Mount' was shot. They quoted me at $674, which seems slightly absurd.

I've done some work before on my own, but curious if anybody else has replaced their transmission mount. There's a great YouTube video detailing the process on a standard 2008 Civic, but I'm slightly off put that ours may have an entirely different location/process.

If anybody could shed some light, or give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing Transmission and Engine Mounts?

There's a thread on this site. The transmission mount is just one of the 3 engine mounts. The mount is pretty spendy, but $674 is a bit over the top.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast

I apologize; I searched this forum and didn't see anything about mounts. I may have erred in only searching titles. Would it be in the diy forum?

Old 07-25-2015, 04:15 PM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...-2006-a-29999/

Not horribly detailed, but good links.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...-2006-a-29999/

Not horribly detailed, but good links.
Ha, thank you!

After following your journey and taking nearly everything apart, I discovered that I also ordered a cheapo version of the mount on ebay, and it also had the wrong threads on top. I'm curious if I could finagle bolts of the actual size of the threads in there instead; how it would hold and so on.

Also, is there any secret to getting the bolts out that holds the power steering resevoir bracket? My god, those are rough.

Right now I'm keeping everything apart, as I really don't want to get those two **** bolts back in. Finally; there is a strange notched bolt in the center of the mount that I've never really seen before. Any non-standard tools needed?

The first picture shows the bolt I'm referring to, and the second shows the different size bores in the mount itself.

Any (more) help or advice would be wildly appreciated. Thank you!

http://imgur.com/a/yZuP1

Old 04-28-2016, 02:07 PM

I have found the correct passenger side mount from Rockauto for $108m, and my second tranny side mount, though cheap, was the correct size.

Smaller bolts should be fine; however, I would torque them according to the smaller thread. $16 harbor freight tap and die set and one of their titanium carbide bits from a set to pre-drill the minor dia worked fine for reinstalling the original bolts.

I pull most everything out from the side of the engine to the driver side of the compartment. Air box, battery, a few other things, etc. I remove the black sheetmetal shroud at the back of the bay that makes the rear coils difficult to get out. I also remove the fluid reservoir itself as it's basically a secondary reservoir for the main tucked way the hell up under there. It's messy, but so much easier.

Combinations of short and long extensions can put the ratchet in a very favorable location to remove that bracket.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith

Smaller bolts should be fine; however, I would torque them according to the smaller thread. $16 harbor freight tap and die set and one of their titanium carbide bits from a set to pre-drill the minor dia worked fine for reinstalling the original bolts.

I also remove the fluid reservoir itself as it's basically a secondary reservoir for the main tucked way the hell up under there. It's messy, but so much easier.

Combinations of short and long extensions can put the ratchet in a very favorable location to remove that bracket.
You're a life saver. I'm going to give the slightly smaller bolts a go, just so I can get it done before lending my car out next week. I'm not entirely too worried about the smaller bolts since it really just seems like a fail safe and to cinch down a bracket.

I didn't even think of removing the fluid resevoir! That's key! I was able to get the bracket out and everything, I'm just concerned about putting it back in!

Any information about that weird notched bolt that's in the center of the transmission mount? I tried a standard 18mm socket that seemed to fit just fine, but I was scared to really plow into it for fears of stripping off a notch or something.

Finally, I really appreciate you taking the time to help out with everyone on here. You have helped me immensely, and have not been condescending in the slightest. Thank you so much!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

Lastly; looks like I just straight up ordered the wrong part, as it only seems to be one half of the Transmission mount setup.

On rockauto, did you order the Anchor 9617?

Thank you!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM

I used an 18mm on the notched bolt head without issue.

I probably ordered the same thing, but I had the correctly sized threads.

This from Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...552&cc=1432624

This from eBay (and it was just the piece pictured. I had to move the other part over):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201441698920?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast

Did the transmission mount recently on my 141K mile HCH II. I think all three parts, the two mounts and the 'dogbone' under the engine, wear together and will eventually need to be done on these cars.

The Hybrid parts are different from other Civic models and best bet is to order from a Honda dealer parts site to be sure of getting the right items. Prices I found weren't too bad, I think about $100 for the pass side, a little more on the driver's side and $35 or so for the dogbone.

My tips on these jobs are to make sure the car is well supported and place wood blocks between the engine and plastic undertray and then between your jack and the undertray. By sandwiching the undertray this way, I didn't have to remove it and could solidly lift/support the engine when taking out the mounts.

When I did the trans mount, I did not remove either the air box or the fuse box, but did loosen and pull/pry/tug/move them around to reach various fasteners. As mentioned you have to remove the upper brake fluid container and be ready for the &*^#$ fluid to fly all over the place when you pull the thing free of the hose. The bracket that holds the fluid tank has to come out and the two bolts at the rear of this bracket had me cursing like a sailor.

Make a note of how the three large connectors go onto the ECU since Honda uncharacteristically did not use different plug shapes nor provide markings on the ECU. You can reason through it by looking at the length and shape of the wiring on each one, but had I thought about it I would have taken a picture before taking them all loose.

As others have mentioned the car feels great once these things are replaced, and even if you thought like I did that it ran fine before, the improvement is very satisfying once you're done

Last edited by Tom in Austin; 04-14-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Transmission and Engine Mounts?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands