transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default transmission fluid change

I plan to do this or have it done around 20k miles.

Has anyone done it yet?

I am wondering if it is difficult . . .

Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: transmission fluid change

Originally Posted by Intrepid1
I plan to do this or have it done around 20k miles.

Has anyone done it yet?

I am wondering if it is difficult . . .

If its like the 2006, its easier than an oil change. You remove the dipstick, you remove one bolt that uses a square socket, and 3 quarts will drain. You then restore the bolt and add 3 quarts in dipstick opening with thin funnel. Verify range on dipstick and you are done.

The bolt also has a magnet on it, you can wipe away anything that has collected on it.

I would get a copy of the service manual or go to library and print out the pages.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

Easy as pie I did it yesterday when I changed my oil/filter. Do exactly as Hunter44102 said. I don't think you even have to jack the car up to achieve this. Just pop out the front body clips and you should have access to everything you need I'm sure there are some how-to videos out there as well..

Have fun!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'll chime in here... the best defense against CVT deterioration is fluid replacement. I replace the CVT fluid in my 2X HCH2 and will do so in my newly acquired 2X G1 Insights every other oil change or every 12-15k miles.

IMHO, it's cheap insurance.

Steve

Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the good information.

The task is starting to come into focus.

I am wondering - is this job do-able in the garage without ramps or jacking up the front end?

My understanding is you need to UN-clip the wind tray to get access, then it seems fairly straight forward.

Can the wind tray be UN-clipped and removed for access?

Thanks in advance for help here

Old 11-13-2015, 06:51 AM

I do it in my driveway on ramps by removing the forward portion of the panel and allowing it to swing down. I place my oil pan on the panel with a brick underneath the forward end to level it.

I can't imagine doing it without the car elevated somehow unless you have a service trench beneath it.

You can certainly unclip the panel and remove it completely. The clips break pretty easily, so you need to be careful.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast

If I buy ramps and lift the front of the hybrid that way, will that hinder removal of the transmission fluid?

Another idea - might it work if I carefully drive front of car over curb and get clearance for transmission fluid and under-body panel to swing open that way?

Old 11-18-2015, 04:33 PM

I can only comment on the '06. I have no issues with the ramps. Given the low ground clearance, I suspect doing it on a curb will be extremely difficult.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

My friend gave me ramps, but I could not get the 2015 Civic on them. The bumper hits the ramp. He suggested me getting some 2x8 and stack them gradually under the ramps to get the clearance needed. I haven't tried it yet.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 AM

Doh... I forgot that detail. I use those cinder block caps to raise the front end a touch. This allows it to clear the ramps.

Steve

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands