Third brake light replacement on Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Third brake light replacement on Hybrids

Hey everyone well I failed my inspection due to the third brake light or CHML (or whatever the initials are). It's an LED so I wouldn't have thought it would be out by now. Bad news is you have to replace the entire light no way to replace the strip and they are not available local and pricey!

I checked the web and couldn't find instructions for the Hybrid models. So I will try to post pics later but it started raining.

-The rear spoiler must be removed. Don't pry on the light, ha don't ask.
-To remove the rear spoiler open the rear gate and look up. On the outboard corner on each side you will see a 10mm bolt. Remove this.
-next and very important. Lift up on the spoiler from the bottom, it has 3 plastic tabs that center it. It will pivot, it is still connected on slide bars you can see underneath. They are incorporated in with the bracket that holds the entire rear lift gate on.
-last gently slide the spoiler to the left, it will slide off those hinges. DONE.

I suggest putting your lube of choice on the plastic tabs and the slide bars. The lights are held in by 2 10mm bolts.

I seriously couldn't find this on the web. So hopefully this will help someone out. The lights range from $75.00 to over $300 so do your research before you buy.
Also realize they Hybrids are different so don't by the light for the others.

Good luck, be safe. Rye.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Third brake light replacement on Hybrids

Oh and just to update it seems the dealer charges about $209.00 and they are on a national backorder.
I have had a few places contact me and tell me the light will NOT fit the Hybrid.

Awesome, nothing like driving around with a rejection sticker!

I think I sourced one but it's in California and they said the are "pretty sure it will fit". It's going to be a few days till I get it, let's see if I can make it without a ticket.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast

So I ended up finding another dealer who got the light for around $170 and delivered it to my door in 3 days.
I wanted the stock light to begin with so I am happy. I will check the third brake light out more often from now on.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you Thank you THANK YOU for this post. Been looking for instructions on how to remove it, as mine is loose.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I saw this done on my 09 HyHo recently when the back glass was replaced to fix the rear defogger. Looks fairly easy just 2 bolts and then the spoiler pops right off and third brake light is right there. I see a bunch of CARID replacements in the 30 to 40 bones range. https://www.carid.com/2009-chevy-tah...234019976.html may not be worth a dang but that looks like a great price?

Old 11-17-2018, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

Be very careful, I picked up several that were supposed to fit. None did, only the very expensive one fit. I rode around for awhile with a rejection inspection sticker