4WD Lockup/Disable

Old 11-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 4WD Lockup/Disable

2006 4WD... have something that's kicking my rear end...

When I go onto a snow covered dirt road and see some wheel slippage the 4WD locks up and then disables. It clears when back on a hard surface road.

Pulled codes: only had U2023. This commonly appears when a wheel speed sensor goes bad, but then there's also a code for the wheel sensor. But here no wheel code is present, so I don't know where the next place to checkout is.

Anyone had any experience in this? Have any ideas?

Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4WD Lockup/Disable

I know when I had wheel speed sensor issues it was intermittent on when it would show up because there was a crack that it would sometimes see, but I think the ring was still in place so it just had a wider gap. I did however not have any AWD issues that I noted, but I have an 08, so maybe different software? Here is my suggestion so you can at least eliminate the tone rings since they're such a prevalent issue. Get to a safe area and run through several stops where the abs will come on for a decent length of time and see if you get any "bucking" that is a tell tale sign of a longer than normal gap in one of the tone rings, otherwise a visual inspection may suffice, but I know they suck this time of year.

Another thing that is a very common theme here is check your 12v battery then check it again, they're known for gremlins when they're going bad and will continue to start the vehicle in cold weather a long time after because all they really do it pop in relays and the battery contactor. With the truck off and cold having sat a while you should be seeing battery voltage in the 12.6 to 12.7 range. 12.5 is meh, 12.4 is replace generally

Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 PM

Inspected tone rings.... no cracks.
Inspected wheel speed sensors... no contact with tone rings.
Inspected wire runs to speed sensors... no apparent problems.

Checked 12V battery... 12.7 V cold, about 20ºF.

Any other thoughts?

The symptoms remain: when on slick surface 4WD will disable. once back on hard surface or stretch without slippage on moderately slick 4 WD will re-enable.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any codes at all? Does it disable when the brakes are activated or regen is activated or only when the wheels slip? Any strange noises that occur under regular driving or when going on the slick surface? If you want to pm me I have a manual, I have some free time and I could go into my OEM shop manuals over the phone with you.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just for S&G did you check to make sure all of your fuses are good? I believe the 4wd fuse would cause other issues, but there could also be other fuses at play, always a good starting place. Like I said too, pm me and I can give you a call and we can go through the manual faster, I'll just make sure to put the resolution up on here after we hammer it out.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Appreciate it. I'll go see if there are any codes now, but there haven't been any for awhile. The symptom is when a wheel slips the 4wd disables... then comes back after no slippage for awhile. How about I PM You in about a half hour?

Old 12-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's fine, see if there are any pending dtcs as well

Old 12-04-2016, 02:05 PM

No codes stored, no codes active. 4WD is shown as operable.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Check all the fuses?

Old 12-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

It only demands a lot of rear wheel power under slipping or heavy acceleration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4WD Lockup/Disable

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands