HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

AC Recharge Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default AC Recharge Question!

Hey everyone,

Heat wave in Los Angeles is driving me wild. I've noticed the last few months my AC is not even close to blowing cold. I've also researched enough on the forum to realize that there is a special fluid needed on HCHII for recharge.

I have several cans of
DuPont Suva 134a DuPont Suva 134a
, but when I tried to refill today, I met an unexpected issue-- the
****ed gauge I got didn't fit. ****ed gauge I got didn't fit.

Is there a specific fitting that is necessary for the low-side fill-- or am I just an idiot for not figuring out how this fits on?

EDIT: I am an idiot; the bushing needed to be pulled up to fit on the nozzle. Please close/delete this thread.

Thank you!

Last edited by mulletman13; 07-09-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AC Recharge Question!

Did you run it for 5 minutes to allow it to stabilize?

Did you find the site glass to help you determine when it was full?

Did you do it when it was 85-95°F for best results?

The HCH2 takes a special oil that costs about $5/teaspoon (I'm not kidding), but you really only need it when it you're replacing components/flushing.

Filling with straight R-134a (no oils, dyes or sealants) is fine (that's what you linked) is fine.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

I recharged mine with dry refrigerant and it works fairly well. Doesn't mean it'll make it cold in full sun, 110F, even at speed, but it'll make it reasonable.

I didn't see anything in the manual about looking for the sight glass so I charged it based on temperature. Where is it?

Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM

When facing the open hood , it will be down and left at the passenger front corner. You will see the A/C line with the pressure switch. The site glass is likely completely obstructed/dirty, so you won't realize you're looking at a site glass.

I'm not familiar with the term dry refrigerant. If you mean straight R-134a without any oil, dye or sealants, then good.

Best to do with ambient at 85-95°F after A/C has been running full blast for at least 5 minutes.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Dry as in no oil.

Thanks for the heads up on where it was. I read through the guide in the OEM service manual and didn't notice anything about it there.

That's about what the weather was like, and I had it running full blast for a while first.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

2009 civic hybrid: I've looked for that sight glass everywhere and can't find it. I followed the line from compressor to both charge ports and looked in front passenger corner where the pressure switch is and nothing. There's a receiver mounted to opposite corner of radiator but no glass there. I followed lines to firewall and nothing. There's a line going under radiator passenger corner but there's no visibility past that corner. Any one has pics? Noted the condenser has almost half the fins gone...

Old 08-23-2017, 02:07 PM

It's possible the 2009 doesn't have it.

If that's the case, then get a new set of manifold gauges and fill with STRAIGHT R-134a (no oil, seal or dye) based on both high and low pressure readings.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks keith, you happen to have the normal pressure reading levels I should refer to?

Originally Posted by S Keith
It's possible the 2009 doesn't have it.

If that's the case, then get a new set of manifold gauges and fill with STRAIGHT R-134a (no oil, seal or dye) based on both high and low pressure readings.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM

Normally, I would just send somebody to "let me google that for you", but here:

http://acprocold.com/faq/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/

Old 08-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Youre right, I forgot about Google, sorry about that! Thanks Keith!!

Originally Posted by S Keith
Normally, I would just send somebody to "let me google that for you", but here:

http://acprocold.com/faq/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/

Quick Reply: AC Recharge Question!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands