Service Brake System warning Ford Escape Hybrid 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Service Brake System warning Ford Escape Hybrid 2007

I'm at my wits end! I've tried to have my car serviced 3 times and they have noidea what's wrong with it. The warning appears on the screen. The brakes intermittentlly give out. The brakes themselves are fine. I've had them checked out. I went to a cheap shop and they said they could read the code, try the dealership for a ghost code. I took it to the dealership and they tried changing two different computer sensors with the pedal and no difference. They called Ford helpline. Ford helpline had no additional suggestions for my local Ford dealership.
It drives along just fine then the brake doesn't work out of the blue, the warning message comes on and my foot presses to the floor and at the last inch or so to the floor I get a very weak break. Like I drove it 20mph with my hazards on to get it home leaving lots of room hoping no one would cut me off. Does anyone have any ideas? It's so frustrating. It has been a wonderful car up until this suddenly happened and now it is useless and a mystery. Do I sell it very discounted? Or is this fixable? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Brake System warning Ford Escape Hybrid 2007

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...ke-bank-24731/

I'm not saying this is your problem, but might be useful as background info.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lois0697
It's an on going problem that Ford has yet to address, Ford has put out a service bulletin out in 2010 discussing this problem. Just recently Ford put out a recall on Fusion and Milan for a braking software update, two hybrids having the same problem. Why is the Escape being ignored?? I have the same problem now with 08 and I am gearing up for protest. I want this update and so should everyone with these cars.
The 2009-12 FEHs have completely different braking and hybrid powertrain systems/software than the 2005-2008s. As you mention, the later model's systems were shared with other Fords like the Fusion hybrid. For example, the newer FEH models have drum brakes in the rear, the earlier ones were discs all around.
Recalls to the 2009-12 FEHs would not apply to earlier models.
Unfortunately I don't think hybrid braking systems would be covered under hybrid battery warranties (now up to 10 years/150K in some states like CA).

Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was incorrect, I checked the EPA records, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid was introduced in the 2010 model year and was sold through the 2012 year like the FEH.