Warning Lights Bonanza After Disconnecting 12V battery

Old 07-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Warning Lights Bonanza After Disconnecting 12V battery

Guys- your collective advice is cheerfully accepted..

Ok so I left town for 4 months, disconnected 12V battery prior ('07 Altima hybrid) , come back, re-connect 12v battery and get the "HEV" & "Maintance Required" lights come on so I drive couple hours and they disappear, but later on that day, the lights returned (HEV and maintanace) out of the blue..anyway long story short is its now been 9 days and I thought by now the re-learn process may have picked up the slack but apparently not. Common sense suggest if this just happened when I reconnected 12V battery then it must be a relearn process the computer has to do but I don't think it takes all of 9 days to do this "re-learn" thing. As it stands now the car drives on ECI only. High voltage battery meter is always on the higher end though and the car has not stalled on me or anything.

Btw I have done this twice before when I left town for an extended period, but both times the relearn process was in a matter of couple hours and non of the warning lights came back on after that.

I was advised on this forum and others to disconnect the 12V battery when taking long non-operation periods because it would be a major pain (apparently) to try and boost a hybrid car..so I took that advise and disconnected the 12V battery thinking it would be the safest/easiest thing for me to do. This much freakin complication from disconnecting the battery (negative terminal first ofcourse) ? what gives ?

till soon
1on1

Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warning Lights Bonanza After Disconnecting 12V battery

I find it hard to believe that with a post-count of 1, you were advised to disconnect your 12V on THIS forum, but it's highly likely you just copy/pasted this to multiple forums.

Fantasticly high chance the 4 month sit killed your HV battery.

You can have your questions answered by doing what the lights ALWAYS tell you to do... get the codes checked.

O'Reilly uses Bosch readers and has the best chance of reading codes accurately for free. If that doesn't work, to Nissan you go...

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

so assuming the HV battery is dead, can it be re-charged ? yes all hypethitcal but any advice is helpful right now..yes I can take it to a dealership but that's a last resort.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Everything is guesswork until you get the codes read. There is no purpose in having any further conversation until you go to that effort, which is literally no more difficult than driving to your nearest O'Reilly. Your car will tell you EXACTLY what is wrong, and it's up to you to make that happen. Asking any more questions of anyone without that information is a waste of their time and your time.

If the HV battery is dead, no. Cells have likely failed, and they are no longer functioning. A single failed cell takes a pack out.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

ok I will buy a code checker (im looking at one on amazon OBDII) and do it myself. I will report back on the readings.

I know you mean well, and I do appreciate the advice.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 PM

You are wasting your time unless you are looking at the higher end stuff documented as capable of reading specific codes for your car.

Whatever you do, don't buy the ELM327 based cheap bluetooth/wifi readers. They will only read a handful of common codes.

You will likely get better results at O'Reilly for free or ponying up for diagnostics at the dealer.

I assume that by your closing remark, you don't care for my tone. What you don't realize is that you're being stubborn, unproductive and selfish with wasting other people's time. When you're the dozenth person or so like this, it gets really old for me when you insist on being a roadblock to your own progress.

YOU have all the power, and NO ONE can help you unless you take the minimum steps necessary.

I'm not here for my benefit.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

You must believe you'll better serve people (if that is at all your intention) by heaping insults all the while dispensing with one or two bits of general information. They will not award the hybrid-guru-of-the-year award to you anytime soon. Your major-domo approach to advice seekers is sure to "backfire" on you some day.
Whatever information you think you know, is also privy to countless others and in this information day and age ,will gush out from hither and thither.

I dunno, perhaps you may be rubbing elbows with the Saudi's or Kuwaiti's in your free time but here in America, its very tough times, so naturally my concern is to spend less and access more information so In the end, i can make an informed yet less taxing decision on what to do or not to do.

Having said that, ofcourse the Oreilly advise is well taken and I will check them out.

Last edited by 1on1; 07-25-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast

FOLLOWUP
re: your repeated insults, lesson # 1, get out more and actually conduct conversations with real people so you can put a lid on your urges to be so boisterous and arrogant, # 2, tear down your holy-mechanics-altar..that thing may be getting to your head..that may explain why you are not firing on all cylinders.

Furthermore, you might benefit from taking a few classes on decency, or if you want to save money, begin watching BBC so the Brits (or any other european for that matter) can educate you on a few elementary steps so you can learn how to repair your broken character (i.e. the art of how to be helpful without being so repulsively arrogant, its an alien concept to people like you out here unfortunately.)

Ofcourse if all else fails (and I really mean this..only conduct this last step if everything else fails) remove the sand paper from your toilet roll.

Last edited by 1on1; 07-25-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM

True colors observed. Thank you for the clarification.

You claim to want more information, yet you stubbornly refuse to get that information even when it's available for free, AND you are given the exact path to do so... for free.

The remainder of your nonsensical statements deserve no acknowledgement.

My O'Reilly advice was given in my very first response, but it took multiple exchanges for you to actually get it. Clearly, you're not even bothering with reading my replies. Turn it around... If the person you are trying to help refuses to even read your words, you might find it frustrating. After dozens of times, you might become intolerant of the selfishness and disrespect of others too.

I am not a mechanic. I am a professional in a technical field that interfaces with engineering, purchasing, accounting, operations and top management on a daily basis. The difference is we offer mutual respect and regard for other's words and desires. If we ask for input, we listen and consider it carefully. We don't just ask because we want a particular answer. We don't just ignore the response if it's not what we want to hear.

Sadly, you will likely never take to heart your poor behavior in this matter, and you will likely be looking at a $6,000 replacement cost from Nissan.

Good luck,

Steve

EDIT: The narrative of your original post and my belief of the cause clouded my judgment. Diagnostic step 1 is always to confirm the health of the 12V battery. They can fail at any time, for any reason and at any age (even brand new). O'Reilly can LOAD test it for you too.

Last edited by S Keith; 07-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Re disconnecting 12V battery. I did that this year for 11 weeks. When I returned my 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid started right up and there were no warning lights at all. Like you, I chose to disconnect the battery after reviewing posts in various forums on greenhybrid.com.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warning Lights Bonanza After Disconnecting 12V battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands