HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Just purchased 2005 HCH red 12v battery and IMA light are on

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just purchased 2005 HCH red 12v battery and IMA light are on

The car is a 5 speed (it was really hard to find a 5 speed with a good body), the car has 171k miles.

I purchased the car with a blown head gasket, seller said "everything" else was working. I repaired the head gasket and car starts and runs fine, however with the IMA battery on I get p1600 and p1570.
The IMA looks to be a replacement unit from RE-NVOLT, i do not know how old the battery is.
I have reved the engine at ~3k for a long time and it does not look to be charging anything.
I bought a new 12v battery that i keep at 100% between running the car.
With the IMA off the red 12v light stays on.
Does anyone know what could be causing the issue?

Thank you.
Let me know if there is anything else you need to know

Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just purchased 2005 HCH red 12v battery and IMA light are on

Your hybrid battery has failed.

Is it Re-Involt? If so, they were acquired by Dorman in 2013, so it's certain that the battery is out of warranty.

If the previous owner wasn't being a lying cun7, then if the car sat for an extended period of time due to the head gasket issue, it's likely the battery self-discharged to the point of failure.

P1570 means that the 10 voltages monitored throughout the pack are grossly out of whack when they should be VERY close together. In most cases, this means a failed cell and a dead pack.

By "IMA battery on" I assuem you are talking about the master switch?

You can wipe the battery state information and codes by disconnecting the 12V for 30 seconds. Reconnect, start and idle car. It should charge at least for a short period if the battery can recover.. It's worth attempting at least a few times.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, S Keith you are awesome! Thank you for the quick response.
Yes, Re-Involt. And yes I meant the master switch on the IMA battery.

I will try wiping the battery state a few times tomorrow and see what happens, it is defiantly worth a try.

I have seen some people use an Imax 6BAC to test each cell.
This is mostly a project car so im going to try testing the cells and depending on how many need to be replaced I will either buy another used IMA core on ebay or buy a bunch of the untested cells.

I would buy a new battery from https://bumblebeebatteries.com/ but 2100+ for a new and improved battery is a bit hard to swallow.

It is too bad honda did not continue making the civic 5 speed hybrids.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM

The accounts of success with IMAX B6 are outdated. In almost all cases, results are short lived. Extremely high effort, low reward.

Bumblebee is a great option. Since it's not necessarily urgent for you, they also sell reconditioned batteries for about $1250 with a 1 year warranty, but there tends to be a waiting list.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Just purchased 2005 HCH red 12v battery and IMA light are on

Originally Posted by Claytonx12
The car is a 5 speed (it was really hard to find a 5 speed with a good body), the car has 171k miles.

I purchased the car with a blown head gasket, seller said "everything" else was working. I repaired the head gasket and car starts and runs fine, however with the IMA battery on I get p1600 and p1570.
The IMA looks to be a replacement unit from RE-NVOLT, i do not know how old the battery is.
I have reved the engine at ~3k for a long time and it does not look to be charging anything.
I bought a new 12v battery that i keep at 100% between running the car.
With the IMA off the red 12v light stays on.
Does anyone know what could be causing the issue?

Thank you.
Let me know if there is anything else you need to know

Whats this you say? you just made a large mistake?

I did too, we'll try to help you brother.

I got the exact same car, and it was in the exact same condition not long ago. (not good now but getting better)
If you leave the IMA switch ON and rev the motor to over 1500rpm does the 12V light go out?
In my case the 12V light only came on at low idle (when the car is warmed up and idling under 1500RPM) and if I went over 3500RPM (I think the voltage from the IMA motor goes too high too fast and some failsafe disconnects it from the 12V electrical system.
I ran my car in this state for 2-3 months, by the end I didn't even rev the motor at stop lights to keep the 12V light out... just let it go and was fine. *IF* you're in similar shape, and your 12V is new or in good condition I wouldn't worry as much about charging in between drives.

I'm not sure if the IMA being switched off also killed the AC to DC components in the back seat, but I'm sure Steve knows.

Last edited by dosmastr; 09-23-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you guys.
I actually was able to buy a IMA battery from a car that was recently wrecked and it worked great.
But, the head gasket fix on the engine did not last long.
I had replaced the engine, and the first few days the hybrid system was working.
But now the IMA and check engine light are on P1600 and P1566.
I have not been able to find any info on the P1566 code.

If it is the IMA Battery I am going to but one from bumblebee.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:55 AM

I don't have the service manual for the HCH1, but the 2005-2006 insight uses the P1566 code for a motor commutation signal problem. They share a LOT in common.

You can download the Insight service manuals from here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...df-others.html

You may find the diagnostics are applicable at least in part to your situation.