HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Funny issue, 3 codes come up, but go away after restarting car a few times.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Funny issue, 3 codes come up, but go away after restarting car a few times.

This usually happens in the morning and its getting more frequent. When I start the car sounds normal, but after about 3 seconds, I hear that "tick" when it goes out of charging, and the codes IMA, check engine, and battery light all come on at once, to which case car wont charge anymore.

After I reset it a few times, it comes back on, or it doesnt, then it charges like normal in the usual negative reset. after an hour of driving it all codes go away.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Funny issue, 3 codes come up, but go away after restarting car a few times.

Pretty common in my experience.

You should read the codes to make sure you understand the issue.

1 of 2 causes:

1) weak or failing 12V and/or bad ground cables (main battery negative and the grounding straps from the CVT to the driver'side unibody and the engine to passenger side engine mount)

2) You have excessive self-discharge (SD) in most if not all cells. Overnight, they lose their charge and go below nominal. It freaks the car's ****, so it disables the IMA shortly after starting.

This has been extremely common based on what I've seen in AZ HCH2 packs.

The 12V resets clear the codes as well as the battery state memory and forces the BCM to command charging of the battery to assess its response and calculate SoC.

There is a small chance that a grid charger/discharger could help you, but your battery is likely toast. SOMETIMES cycling the pack with the charger/discharger can improve SD, but there are no guarantees.

After confirming your 12V health, you might try disconnecting you 12V when you park it and reconnect it in the morning. Start and let it idle charge for at least 30 seconds followed by very conservative driving until the recalibration is complete. You likely won't throw any codes after that. hopefully, you have your radio code memorized if you go that route...

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Funny issue, 3 codes come up, but go away after restarting car a few times.

Originally Posted by S Keith
Pretty common in my experience.

You should read the codes to make sure you understand the issue.

1 of 2 causes:

1) weak or failing 12V and/or bad ground cables (main battery negative and the grounding straps from the CVT to the driver'side unibody and the engine to passenger side engine mount)

2) You have excessive self-discharge (SD) in most if not all cells. Overnight, they lose their charge and go below nominal. It freaks the car's ****, so it disables the IMA shortly after starting.

This has been extremely common based on what I've seen in AZ HCH2 packs.

The 12V resets clear the codes as well as the battery state memory and forces the BCM to command charging of the battery to assess its response and calculate SoC.

There is a small chance that a grid charger/discharger could help you, but your battery is likely toast. SOMETIMES cycling the pack with the charger/discharger can improve SD, but there are no guarantees.

After confirming your 12V health, you might try disconnecting you 12V when you park it and reconnect it in the morning. Start and let it idle charge for at least 30 seconds followed by very conservative driving until the recalibration is complete. You likely won't throw any codes after that. hopefully, you have your radio code memorized if you go that route...

Good luck,

Steve

The 12V battery is just fine, I can confirm that much, though the hybrid 140v battery is dying unfortunately.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

10 months for a reply? Why bother?