HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

Hello All - We have a 2006 Civic Hybrid that was running just fine, but recently we let it sit in the driveway for 2 months without driving it. Now it won't start. The 12V battery is fine, and we tried jumping it just in case, but still no start.

When we turn the key to the ON position, the dash lights up, radio and A/C work, etc., and we can turn the headlights on and they come on strong. But when we turn the key to start the engine, nothing happens. No click, no nothing. I can hold the key in the start position for a second or 5 seconds, and still nothing happens.

I'm guessing that the IMA battery charge dropped to a very low level, but that's just a guess. Does anyone know if that would explain it? And more importantly, is there a trick that I can use to get the engine to start so that the IMA will charge? Or is there a way for me to charge the IMA battery myself? I'm trying to avoid having to tow the car to the dealership...

Thanks for any knowledge and/or suggestions you can offer!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

The HCH2 has a backup 12V starter and should start off the 12V battery if the IMA battery is too low, or it's too cold to start with the IMA. Pull the 12V battery and take it to a parts store for a LOAD TEST. Sometimes a weak battery is so weak, it can't be jumped.

You should also check the main (-) battery cable for resistance as well as the two ground straps, one on the CVT and the other grounding the engine to the passenger motor mount. If they've never been replaced, you should probably just replace them.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll check the cables out. With regard to the battery, one thing I did do was disconnect the battery altogether and connect in its place a jumper/starter battery that we have that was fully charged (we know it's good 'cuz we've used it recently). Same result - lights, radio, etc., but no turnover.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

12V battery good, battery and ground cables good.

Any other tips?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Check fuses and relays. I don't have my service manual handy, so I can't give you any specific guidance in that regard.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

I checked the fuses, all good. How do I check the relays?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:55 AM

You find the one for the starter and energize it. The second set of pins should close the circuit and show continuity.

Once located, you can also try lightly tapping the relay with a plastic screwdriver handle or similar while the key is turned to the start position.

Do you have any DTCs indicated?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

After checking fuses and relays, we decided to have it towed to the dealer. The tech at the dealer checked it out and says we need a new starter. The service advisor was pretty clear in indicating that this is just the starting point, in that after the starter is replaced, then they'll see what else is wrong...

Not a great situation. And the price quoted is $750 for parts and labor to replace the starter.

A bad starter actually does make some sense to me, given that all nothing else appears to be wrong. The tech's theory is that the starter seized up while the car was sitting for two months. Anyway, I just can't pay $750, especially after calling Advance Auto and getting a price of $175 for a new starter with a lifetime warranty. So, my new question is, does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the starter in this car? I've replaced a couple of starters in my past, but they weren't hybrid cars. Does this one require any special skills or tools? I can't seem to find any info online.

If anyone has a service manual that they could forward me, that would obviously be very helpful.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM

That was the next step.

Tech is likely wrong. HCH2 with working IMA batteries never use their 12V starter unless IMA battery is low on charge or IMA battery temp is extremely low. Sitting for 2 months likely had your IMA battery discharged to the point that it wouldn't start the car, so when the car tried to start off the 12V, it's possible it hasn't been used for years, and it's just gone bad, has a stuck solenoid, etc.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, the mystery continues. I replaced the starter... and nothing changed. Same symptom. VERY frustrated, especially given that I asked the dealer to double-check their diagnosis of a bad starter before I paid to have the car towed home.

Anyone have any suggestions for next steps? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands