07 TCH at 48K miles. What maintenance I need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 07 TCH at 48K miles. What maintenance I need?

my car is 11 years old with looking like new but some rusts on door and always parked outdoor and it is almost 50k miles. Been doing the oil change every 3k miles. Did some brake repairs 2 years ago and replaced all new tires 5 years ago. And tire leak issues few times some time ago. Today I saw “maintenance required “ sign few times after turning on the car engine . Goes off after few secs. I think it is saying I need oil change ? Used to go to Toyota dealer for oil change but getting sick and tired of endless demand to have all kinds of major repairs. They have been saying this ever since my first oil change at 3k miles. Can I do oil change at any car repair shop or I have to know the right oil and go to certain places only? What other maintenance work I should do at 45 to 50k miles? Thanks a lot

Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 TCH at 48K miles. What maintenance I need?

How about DIY oil change? Never had oil done for me by someone since 1990.
Nothing special about oil. 5W20 non synthetic. You are clearly overdoing on oil changes but it's your car and your peace of mind. 5000 miles is normal term, checking on oil level about once a month.
I do ATF change in PSD every 50 000 miles.
Your coolant is 150 000 miles.
Your 12V battery is likely "getting there" being made in 2006. Not saying to replace it, just saying - it's a long term for battery. Though mine OEM Panasonic still works as gate opener battery.
That's about it. Nothing really much to it.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
How about DIY oil change? Never had oil done for me by someone since 1990.
Nothing special about oil. 5W20 non synthetic. You are clearly overdoing on oil changes but it's your car and your peace of mind. 5000 miles is normal term, checking on oil level about once a month.
I do ATF change in PSD every 50 000 miles.
Your coolant is 150 000 miles.
Your 12V battery is likely "getting there" being made in 2006. Not saying to replace it, just saying - it's a long term for battery. Though mine OEM Panasonic still works as gate opener battery.
That's about it. Nothing really much to it.
I can’t do DYI oil change I am clueless about this so I can do at car shop. What is ATF PSD ? Regarding coolant! Just tell them change my coolant? Will battery just die, car won’t start when the battery dies? How do I know when I will need new battery? How much is it? Buy online and take it to any car shop to install ?

Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 TCH at 44K miles. What maintenance I need?

UPDATE:

My car exact mileage is around 44K but 11 years old car as it is O7 TCH.

I went to oil change at Midas today after making an appointment. stayed there for 2 hours and the service cashier recommended the following

Wiper blades : $29.Note I already installed new blade few months ago somewhere else.
AIR FILTER $29.99

Front & Rear Sway Bar Kits remove & replace 2 Quantities each for $133.98 & $289.99
Shock Absorbers rear remove & replace= R COMPLETE STRUT ASSY $619.98
$580 in labor cost.
Total of $1700. I told him NO THANKS.

Pls let me know what you guys think.

Just paid $ 25 for oil and tire rotation. I don't even know if they changed the oil or rotated the tire at all.

Last edited by jimmy1; 02-16-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM

befriend someone who knows cars. Case of beer goes long ways and save - clearly - lots of money.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
befriend someone who knows cars. Case of beer goes long ways and save - clearly - lots of money.
pls tell me whether those $1800 worth of repairs they recommended is actually needed or not. $600 of that amount is labor cost. Thanks

Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 PM

IMHO, suspension work is always on condition.

If the car is quiet (no suspension related rattles) and handles as it should in all scenarios, none of that work is needed.

I have a Prius with 210K miles on it... original shocks and no other suspension work.

HOWEVER, any shop specializing in those can provided justifiable reasons for replacement. All of my shocks are leaking a small amount and have been for the last 25K miles. Eventually, I will need to replace them, but the car still handles fine.

Pivots and bushings show signs of wear long before they truly NEED to be replaced giving shops a "reason" for doing the work.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
IMHO, suspension work is always on condition.

If the car is quiet (no suspension related rattles) and handles as it should in all scenarios, none of that work is needed.

I have a Prius with 210K miles on it... original shocks and no other suspension work.

HOWEVER, any shop specializing in those can provided justifiable reasons for replacement. All of my shocks are leaking a small amount and have been for the last 25K miles. Eventually, I will need to replace them, but the car still handles fine.

Pivots and bushings show signs of wear long before they truly NEED to be replaced giving shops a "reason" for doing the work.
I am not sure about suspensions.. if I just look at mileage my car is just 44k miles and no problems I find when driving but if my age it is 11 years old car. Will it be cheaper if I go to small private auto repair shop and ask them to replace all these mentioned in the attachments? Can I buy then at a store and take them to small independent auto repair shop and ask them to install these for labor cost? Thanks. I

Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 AM

All of the repairs they are recommending are related to the suspension of the vehicle.

"If the car is quiet (no suspension related rattles) and handles as it should in all scenarios, none of that work is needed."

Stated another way, if you car feels like it drives fine and doesn't make any weird noises, none of the work is needed.

Something to keep in mind, if you are female, of a different nationality, have an accent are not a native English speaker, or are perceived as being ignorant of all things automotive, you may be targeted for repairs as they see you as someone they can trick into repairs that can be made, but aren't truly necessary.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
All of the repairs they are recommending are related to the suspension of the vehicle.

"If the car is quiet (no suspension related rattles) and handles as it should in all scenarios, none of that work is needed."

Stated another way, if you car feels like it drives fine and doesn't make any weird noises, none of the work is needed.

Something to keep in mind, if you are female, of a different nationality, have an accent are not a native English speaker, or are perceived as being ignorant of all things automotive, you may be targeted for repairs as they see you as someone they can trick into repairs that can be made, but aren't truly necessary.
I definitely agree you with the last part. I am not a native English speaker and completely ignorant of automative things and so I can be easily tricked in to expensive car repair or maintenance . Even those native speaker with no knowledge of things related to car can be tricked too. I went to Midas for oil change this time cos the local Toyota dealer where I bought this car in August of 2006, where I have been going for oil change is even worse. They have been recommending expensive maintenance ever since my first oil change. Every time they advertise oil change coupon with “ free inspection “, they ask you to pay for huge repairs or maintenance cost. 2 years ago I heard brake noise and went to a local independent small auto repair shop and for repair. Recently due to freezing temperatures, my gas tank cover wouldn’t open, had to force open with a tool and it broke the actuator and wouldn’t stay close , the Toyota dealer quoted $550 , the same independent small repair shop quoted around $300 total. He ordered it and replaced it and now will open and stay closed. I know they make profit but they won’t rip you off like the big repair shops do. If they are busy they say we are busy and come next time and never so called free inspections. Lowers the price a bit if paid by cash!

Last edited by jimmy1; 02-18-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 07 TCH at 48K miles. What maintenance I need?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands