2007 Camry Hybrid Eco-Cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Camry Hybrid Eco-Cool

hello,

i was was wondering if someone could help me with what may be going on. I may end up having to take it to Toyota to have them look at it. My car seems tor run like normal with the eco cool mode on, but if my air conditioning is low (so no eco) my battery seems to drain fast and the charging system has a hard time recharging it. My car will be delayed when beginning from a stop and feel rough. This has to be due to the battery being low because it runs great when it is charged. The battery also seems to charge once it gets low (in the eco mode) without a problem. Could something be over amping ? What does the eco button actually do? I’ve been unable to locate a valuable schematic. Thanks! Any advice is appreciated

Last edited by RefrigerationGuy; 06-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Camry Hybrid Eco-Cool

Toyota.com for owners manual to tell you what eco does.

Everything you describe is symptomatic of a deteriorated hybrid battery - simply a loss of usable capacity. A NEW battery can only run the A/C full blast for about 4-5 minutes in most situations.

The rough start may be associated with a dirty throttle body and MAF sensor. This is an issue on the Gen2 Prius, and I would suspect it's common on the Camry as well. Probably many youtube videos.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Everything you describe is symptomatic of a deteriorated hybrid battery - simply a loss of usable capacity. A NEW battery can only run the A/C full blast for about 4-5 minutes in most situations.
Still learning about the hybrid system - the traction battery powers the A/C compressor?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybrid veggie
Still learning about the hybrid system - the traction battery powers the A/C compressor?
The A/C compressor is 3-phase 200VAC powered - no belt/pulley. It is either powered by the HV battery or via the primary generator (MG1) that is driven by the ICE. During decels, it can technically also be powered by MG2 (the traction motor-generator) during regenerative braking.

Technically, it's powered by the High Voltage system, which can be HV battery, MG1 or MG2.

Most common scenarios:

Car stopped, ICE off, A/C running - HV battery
Car stopped, ICE off, A/C running - MG1
Car under regenerative breaking, ICE on or off, A/C running - MG2

The HV DC voltage is converted to 3-phase 200VAC (variable speed) in the inverter regardless of source, i.e., wherever the high voltage DC comes from, it gets converted to 3-phase VAC in the inverter for use in the compressor.

Based on my observations and approximations, the "full-blast" A/C ("LO" with max blower) load is about 2000W. Once the car is at the set temp, and it's just maintaining, the power load can be much lower.