HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

AC Clutch Pulley Wobble WITH new bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default AC Clutch Pulley Wobble WITH new bearing

Posting because I'm a bit baffled at this one. My ac compressor clutch was making the typical failing bearing noise that others on the forum have documented so I pulled the pulley off and had the bearing replaced. Now, I thought it was strange that there was so much play in the pulley with the old bearing but figured that it would be solid with a new one. Well, I was wrong. Once the pulley is fully seated on to the shaft (not sure what to call it) there is significant play. The diameter of the portion outside of where the snap ring is seems to be snug and tight then once the pulley is past the snap right portion the pulley feels loose. Did the old bearing damage the shaft so much that it caused significant play, even with a new bearing? Shot in the dark, but is there a way to shim the shaft enough so that the bearing sits tight again?

For now I've bypassed the AC pulley with a shortened serpentine belt but the thing is so loose that I can still hear it rattling from the engine vibration, even though it's not spinning anymore. I'd really just like to avoid putting a new compressor in this thing, as everything is so tight in there and it looks like quite the job.

Last edited by jkat001; 09-12-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: AC Clutch Pulley Wobble WITH new bearing

I had the same exact issue on my 05 when it was close to 280K. The shaft for the pulley was spun out of round from the seized bearing (if I remember correctly). I ended up having to replace the entire compressor and more. Pretty sure not what you want to hear. I had hoped to replace shaft only bit pretty sure it was not going to happen. I used to take pictures of all of that stuff but lost my back up drive so I may not.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: AC Clutch Pulley Wobble WITH new bearing

I found my old compressor and took a pic. The circled are is the "shaft" and you can see where it is spun out. If you could find the front piece held on by about 6 bolts maybe you can replace it but I had no luck finding the shaft and plate. If you decide to change out compressor and drier, once you pull wheel and side cover, it is not too bad. The worst part is getting Refrigerant removed and right levels back in but a few youtube videos out there.

Last edited by tsi91at; 09-19-2018 at 08:26 PM.