2007 Camry Hybrid OEM Navigation Retrofit

Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Camry Hybrid OEM Navigation Retrofit

Hey forum, new guy here. I acquired an 07 Camry Hybrid in May of 2018, it has been in the family for a while. The car came with thr factory JBL in dash 6 disc changer, which I've been fine with until now. I decided to pull the trigger on a used navigation unit which came with connectors cut from the previous vehicle. Now, I did not just go ahead and buy the unit and proceed with the install, I've read multiple threads online about people wanting to do the conversion, same probably did get it to work. Folks in Canada especially, had main concerns about the Hybrid screen not working. I have been extensively studying the wiring schematics of both, TCH non nav and nav versions. So far, I have been able to get my Aux mode to work, I had to rewire that. The navigation works, I'm using a GPS antenna off of a Prius. I will soon be hooking up my vehicle speed sensor, which needs to be hooled up behind the instrument cluster. The overhead mic also doesn't work yet, I have to rewire that into the new navigation unit's harness. My hybrid screen doesn't populate, I have the wiring traced out for that. I'll discuss more and would like to work with any fellows interested in this retrofit to make it work in our cars. Let's revive this thread!

Here's the old unit with my phone connected via Bluetooth

Here's the whole harness opened up, the sleeve cut up and wires separated. I was trying to trace my Aux wires as the it wouldn't work when pressed the button.

Aux hooked up!

Here's the navigation working, it is out of synch with the vehicle's speed since I don't have the vehicle speed sensor wire hooked up yet. I'm waiting on that particular connector to arrive and I should be good.

This is the connector that goes behind the navigation unit and contains the CAN bus wires needed for the Hybrid/Energy functions. 2 wires, CAN bus H and L. However, it's tricky, the main connector in the car that hooks up to the Navi is not present in non Nav models. Connector E41.

I'm waiting on someone to chine so I can proceed with the discussion, hoping people are still interested in this retrofit.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Camry Hybrid OEM Navigation Retrofit

I personally am not sure why you'd want to do this. The stock nav unit is way outdated and mediocre at best. IMO you'd be better off with one of the many in-dash Android units (including at least one designed specifically for this car), which would let you run Waze (even though I have the Nav in my 07, I always use Waze instead) and support USB and audio over Bluetooth. Or, if you're not comfortable with a Chinese-branded radio, one of the many aftermarket Nav systems such as a Pioneer AVIC, which would also give you Android Auto and Apple Carplay. In addition, since your car didn't come with a JBL system, it would have been an almost drop-in replacement.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swechsler
I personally am not sure why you'd want to do this. The stock nav unit is way outdated and mediocre at best. IMO you'd be better off with one of the many in-dash Android units (including at least one designed specifically for this car), which would let you run Waze (even though I have the Nav in my 07, I always use Waze instead) and support USB and audio over Bluetooth. Or, if you're not comfortable with a Chinese-branded radio, one of the many aftermarket Nav systems such as a Pioneer AVIC, which would also give you Android Auto and Apple Carplay. In addition, since your car didn't come with a JBL system, it would have been an almost drop-in replacement.
I would have loved to go with an aftermarket unit but, the dash kits available for these cars don't go well with the dash imo; that is tge main reason why I went with the OEM nav. Sure, it's outdated, but I got it working. There are 3 connections needed to make the Hybrid Energy screen work. I had to rewire some connections for my Aux and the microphone to work. Also added in a back uo camera while I had everything opened up.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

I'm PMing you because I have the same car and never could locate thee wires to hook up the NAV properly. I made it as far as mapping my current location, but not the speed wire or the backup cam or the status data llike you did.
Brilliant! Thanks in advance for the help

Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TG1678
I would have loved to go with an aftermarket unit but, the dash kits available for these cars don't go well with the dash imo; that is tge main reason why I went with the OEM nav. Sure, it's outdated, but I got it working. There are 3 connections needed to make the Hybrid Energy screen work. I had to rewire some connections for my Aux and the microphone to work. Also added in a back uo camera while I had everything opened up.
That is interesting indeed. I have a 2008 TCH which will likely die before too long. (VERY high mileage). I would like a back-up camera in my next vehicle but am not sure that I want to buy a new vehicle knowing what I would have to pay in insurance and annual taxes in NC.

If I can remove my current navigation unit, put it into a TCH of the same vintage, AND add a back-up camera, I could get a great deal.

How did you add the back-up camera to a car that didn't have the camera unit? Did you buy an OEM Toyota camera or after market? Thanks!
David

Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybrid veggie
That is interesting indeed. I have a 2008 TCH which will likely die before too long. (VERY high mileage). I would like a back-up camera in my next vehicle but am not sure that I want to buy a new vehicle knowing what I would have to pay in insurance and annual taxes in NC.

If I can remove my current navigation unit, put it into a TCH of the same vintage, AND add a back-up camera, I could get a great deal.

How did you add the back-up camera to a car that didn't have the camera unit? Did you buy an OEM Toyota camera or after market? How hard was it to hook it up? Thanks!
David

Old 03-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

I have been working on my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid which was left over after my father passed away. I brought the e7011 Navigation System from eBay. I wanted the OEM system because of the hybrid and consumption info. Being naive, I thought that unlike 3rd party units, a OEM Toyota unit will have the connectors ready. What a shock that was.

I need to get a hold of a schematics of some kind that indicate what connectors as cables are for what.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hey man, So ive been searching the web for anything from a pinout diagram or even a wiring diagram for this exact radio. I want to do the same thing you did but im even up to more of a challenge. Im installing a navigation unit in a car that doesnt even have a jbl radio. (07 CE manual trans;235kmiles strong ) Could you possiably send those wiring diagrams that you had? They would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL! So far it looks that you do amazing work. Looks great so far man! I got most of it down, like the power for the radio, amp, switched power for the both of them, speaker power, I just need alumination, inputs, reverse camera inputs, (definitely would like to add in the super near future) and if possiable all the buttons inputs as well as the mic inputs. I got it all from a junkyard, but I totally didnt grab the microphone OR the gps Antenna. Thankfully it uses a very cheap setup that you can go aftermarket and most likely recieve an even better signal on the radio. The thing puts out some decent power, and to put it into perspective, it was rated at 440w of peak power, and im 90% sure it equates to 200w RMS power of sound. Its a decent head unit, even to todays standards (2019). I have an aftermarket touchscreen pioneer radio in there now, even bench testing this one, its got alot more bump to it. Let me know my friend if you could possiably assist me in this dire situation! Im not exactly sure how to PM someone, but if you could maybe messge me back on the fourm with a link? OR tell me how lmfao

Old 04-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joseph G Capra
Hey man, So ive been searching the web for anything from a pinout diagram or even a wiring diagram for this exact radio....
same, did you ever find anything?
pinouts are impossible to find that are reliable...

Old 08-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by jeffisu
Hi, I have done this and can provide advice and documents. Send me a PM and I can email you the info. I too agree with you that I liked the factory look. I also added a backup camera at the same time - the nav has connectors but was never advertised. The backup camera was the biggest reason I added the nav.
Hi can you please send me info on how to do this retro fit. My email is : alan.huynh2013@gmail.com
thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Camry Hybrid OEM Navigation Retrofit

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands