2009 hybrid Tahoe batt problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 hybrid Tahoe batt problems

To make a long story short, I purchased a Tahoe three days ago from a reputable local dealer. The car is a 2009 with 107k miles. Second day of ownership, I get a MIL with P0BBD and P0AC4 codes and it began operating oddly at low speeds. Third day of ownership (today) the car is still acting odd at low speeds, I can hear a sort of high pitched noise from the battery area but no MIL. If I drive the truck at low speed in M it seems fine. Pretty disappointed

Does this his seem like a battery, or something else? I can’t find a local dealer that will diagnose this thing. I ask about battery replacements and just get a long hold. One even asked me if I was sure I didn’t drive a volt. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the help.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 hybrid Tahoe batt problems

I got those two codes also on a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. The battery is done. I'm in the process of swapping out the 40 modules with low-mile (16K and 20K) modules out of two Prius C packs (20 each). Cheaper than a refurbished battery with modules of unknown origin and should be more reliable. You are just past the factory warranty of 100K (check the warranty of the state you're in) so you may be able to get a discounted new battery at the dealer.

Last edited by Jaime; 12-14-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

That’s what I was afraid of.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Corbs09 you stated that you bought it from a "reputable dealership" if it is indeed a reputable dealership they will be interested in maintaining that reputation. Reputable dealers will usually include a short warranty period like 30 days especially if they have done their 190 point inspection that they brag about, and charge big bucks for.
Use your best tact and go back over working your way up through the ranks till you reach the owner if need be, and have them repair the vehicle to your satisfaction or give you your money back. Unless of course you bought it for like nothing and have funds set aside for repairs anyway??

Old 12-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I guess I now have to describe them as “what I thought was a reputable dealer”. It is Mac Haik jeep dodge in Georgetown.

I have had multiple discussions with the dealer. They will do nothing. They told me that they were already not making much money on the car and there was nothing they could do to help me. They just stated I purchased as-is. I did buy an extended warranty but it does not cover batteries obviously.

Lesson learned for me. Get a pre purchase inspection done no matter what. I paid 10.5 for the truck, so I would say it is in line with pricing and I didn’t get some kind of dumb deal on it.

The CEL goes on and off and it only acts strange about 60% of the time (ha). I’m assuming the battery is still ok but on its way out. I just know when batteries give up the ghost they are usually “dead” and it probably won’t get me home. I’m going to keep driving it for the next few days until I can have the battery done, then move on to enjoying my new to me truck!

I appreciate the feedback. Can’t wait to use this thing, seems like a really nice suv.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The pre-purchase inspection wouldn't have mattered. Even a Chevy dealership likely wouldn't have picked it up. Most dealerships don't know what to do with these things since there were so few made.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Hmm high pitched whine from battery area? Makes you wonder if maybe the previous owner had a shaggy dog that rode with them and the inlet screen on the battery cooling fan is completely blocked? If this were mine I would pull the cover and check the inlet screen on the cooling fan like right now before I did anything else. Mine was partially blocked here is a pic. The covers come off pretty easily just be careful not to yank too hard and tear up the little push clips. Mine also had a weathertech floor liner that was blocking the slots on the seat base that had to be trimmed. At 107K miles the battery should be OK mine has 198K on the original hybrid battery and still going strong. .

Partially blocked inlet screen.

Passenger side small cover as I remember this one has to come off first

Drivers side larger cover

Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dnt1010
Hmm high pitched whine from battery area? Makes you wonder if maybe the previous owner had a shaggy dog that rode with them and the inlet screen on the battery cooling fan is completely blocked? If this were mine I would pull the cover and check the inlet screen on the cooling fan like right now before I did anything else. Mine was partially blocked here is a pic. The covers come off pretty easily just be careful not to yank too hard and tear up the little push clips. Mine also had a weathertech floor liner that was blocking the slots on the seat base that had to be trimmed. At 107K miles the battery should be OK mine has 198K on the original hybrid battery and still going strong. .
First, hey old man... Get someone younger in the car. The high pitched whine is very common. They might hear it.

Second, you have no business comparing your vehicle to his. It's just not relevant. You have no idea about his battery. I have detailed failure data on over 200 hybrid batteries. Should I tell the folks that had less than 200K miles on their cars when their battery failed that their battery "should be fine" because I've seen one that went 386K? Or is it MORE relevant that those 200 batteries failed at an average of 160K miles with several under 100K and several over 200K... and this is on a vehicle with a MUCH better record of battery management.

Lastly, you have no basis to claim, "still going strong." All you can say is that it's presenting no symptoms. It's likely deteriorated to less than 40% of its rated capacity, but since you haven't done any detailed testing, nobody knows.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 PM

I hear some whining but not from my Tahoe LOL.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 PM

The presentation of facts and logic is not whining. Snarky irrelevant comebacks are the tools of those trying to avoid admitting they are wrong or are in a position of weakness.

Quick Reply: 2009 hybrid Tahoe batt problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands