2009 Escalade Hybrid Issues - Hesitation, Jolts and Inconsistent Acceleration

Old 12-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Escalade Hybrid Issues - Hesitation, Jolts and Inconsistent Acceleration

I have owned a 2009 Escalade Hybrid for 3 years now and it now has 171K miles on it(bought it was 110K). Over the last year the truck has started to hesitate when accelerating, almost like it slips between electric and gas mode. When it started, it just did it once in a while and now it's quite consistent. I also occasionally get into situation where the truck with jerk forward and back quite violently while making some clunking noises. This seems to happen after I've driven slowly up a steeper incline for a little bit of time(happens in parking garages and when moving slowly through traffic). I've taken the truck to the dealership a couple times now and they can't find anything wrong with it. They insist that their computer thing that they plug into when I check it would see any error codes in the hybrid system. I've even gone on a 20 minute drive with their lead tech who said the hesitation is normal for hybrids and there isn't anything that can be done. I know that's not right as the vehicle didn't do it when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't of considered it! I have also seen my average MPG drop from around 18 to 15 over the last year.

I've read some threads here mentioning the battery may be the culprit but without the dealer giving me any info on the condition of the battery, I would rather not just throw money at the truck hoping it'll fix it. Does anyone know of any way to test the battery system myself? Or know of any competent shops in northern CA that would be willing to look at it? I'm at a loss and it's getting to the point that I can't stand driving it, despite it being such a comfortable truck.

Last edited by laselvasurf; 12-26-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Escalade Hybrid Issues - Hesitation, Jolts and Inconsistent Acceleration

Search is your friend...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...results-31736/

Old 12-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Escalade Hybrid Issues - Hesitation, Jolts and Inconsistent Acceleration

I have experienced similar issues. I believe it could be related to the Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Pump... You may want to check that out before jumping to a battery. Cheaper and easier fix usually. I had originally thought it was during the transition from battery to gas but came to find it seemed to do it no matter what I was running but if i was going anywhere between 3 mp5 and 10 mph it would act like it was slipping and cause it to almost buck and grab..

I ordered my replacement pump and wiring harness and hoping that fixes the issue for me!

Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I cannot say for sure that this was my problem as I have only driven this 199k mile 09 Tahoe for around 3000 miles and a couple of months so far but I did have some strange surges when I first got it. I cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush and the surging problem has not reappeared so far. (fingers crossed and knock on wood) I would probably give that basic maintenance item a try before getting into more complicated and costly areas? Mine did not appear to be very dirty but there was some buildup that might have been causing the flapper to stick a bit right at the closed position...............

Old 12-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Question for you, does this only work with a bluetooth OBDII reader? I have two wifi OBD Readers(one Carly and the other a cheaper generic from amazon).

Last edited by laselvasurf; 12-25-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Devin Tatro
I have experienced similar issues. I believe it could be related to the Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Pump... You may want to check that out before jumping to a battery. Cheaper and easier fix usually. I had originally thought it was during the transition from battery to gas but came to find it seemed to do it no matter what I was running but if i was going anywhere between 3 mp5 and 10 mph it would act like it was slipping and cause it to almost buck and grab..

I ordered my replacement pump and wiring harness and hoping that fixes the issue for me!
Please let me know how the replacement goes and if that fixes the issue!

Old 12-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dnt1010
I cannot say for sure that this was my problem as I have only driven this 199k mile 09 Tahoe for around 3000 miles and a couple of months so far but I did have some strange surges when I first got it. I cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush and the surging problem has not reappeared so far. (fingers crossed and knock on wood) I would probably give that basic maintenance item a try before getting into more complicated and costly areas? Mine did not appear to be very dirty but there was some buildup that might have been causing the flapper to stick a bit right at the closed position...............
I actually replaced the throttle body as it failed a few months into ownership. That said, it's been a few years, so it's probably due for a cleaning. Thanks for the tip!