HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Engine light after hybrid battery replacement

Old 03-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Engine light after hybrid battery replacement

Just bought a 2005 civic hybrid cheap from a coworker that had parked it due to a dead hybrid battery. It has 144,00 miles, so it seemed like an accurate assessment. He had attempted to refurbish himself with no success. I looked into my options and settled on buying from best hybrid batteries at $1500. The battery was here within days and installed easily. Upon starting the car the IMA light was off, the gauges indicated a good charge, and the battery seemed to be operating properly. The only problem is that the check engine light is still on. I went to the local autozone to have the codes read. Most were stated to be dealer only reads, but the one that did provide a description was IMA failure. Since I live an area with emissions testing I need to get this sorted out in order to register my car. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the outcome?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine light after hybrid battery replacement

Autozone lies, has incompetent people and garbage equipment.

Go to O'Reilly and have them read the codes with their Bosch readers. Get the ACTUAL CODE, not the description.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

The actual codes were: 61-1, P1554, 1556, 1558, 1569, 1575, and 1609. I had him clear the codes and have not seen them in the next few miles of driving. I’m not sure if these may have just been old codes that were still present as I did not have the codes cleared immediately after replacing the battery. I’m used to working on OBD I cars where the code disappears upon start up after you repair the issue. Do I need to complete a drive cycle to reset any ready monitors in order for it to pass emissions?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 PM

If you didn't disconnect the 12V as part of the battery replacement (you are instructed to in every situation I've seen), then you never reset the codes.

You have to complete multiple drive cycles before it will pass emissions. You will know it's ready for emissions when you turn ignition on (engine off), wait several seconds, CEL will flash. If it goes out after flashing, it's ready for emissions.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Well. Surprisingly the CEL flashed and went off this morning so I took it by emissions. It failed on ready monitors for the cat and the O2 sensor. Luckily it’s only $9 and I get a free retest so I’ll go back after a few more drive cycles.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 AM

You know... I think I told you wrong... I think the flashing is indicating that emissions are NOT eady. If it goes out without flashing, it's ready. Sorry about that. Most places including CA and AZ, permit pass with up to one not ready. In my experience, O2 and Cat generally resolve pretty quickly... it's the evap system that is the last to go ready.... I've passed many a car with evap system not ready.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

It’s no big deal. I’m just glad that neither of those components were in prior codes. So when I complete the drive cycles the car should be good to go. Since my drive to work is almost identical to the drive cycles I’ve found for this car I should have completed plenty within a week and pass when I take it back on my next day off, next Wednesday. Thank you for all the help. I’m pretty far behind on technology and hate working on any car built since 1995.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:13 PM

Sounds good. Good luck!