Cargo on top of battery.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cargo on top of battery.

Hello I am new to this forum. I looked around a little and did not find this in another thread so if it is a repeat I'm sorry.
I am getting a 2008 escape hybrid tomorrow. My one question that I can't seam to find info on is do I need to be worried about what I but in the cargo area ( on top of the battery). Is there a weight limit or any risk of damage to the battery.
Thanks

Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 PM
Cheapskate
Default Re: Cargo on top of battery.

It's a sealed aluminum box with several separate compartments (and hence internal support for the lid). Unless you're taking on an anvil delivery job, I can't imagine any possible issue. You'd be likely to hit the limits of the suspension before you'd be at risk of damaging the battery box.

Plus if there were such a limitation, Ford would call it out explicitly in the owner's manual.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cargo on top of battery.

I collect, buy, sell machine tools. Whenever possible I transport them in my 2008 HEV. If there is a weight limit, I am sure I exceeded it on several occasions. When I need to haul a particularly heavy (or pointy) object I lay down a piece of plywood or a small pallet first. No issues.