Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   12 Volt Battery (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/12-volt-battery-22277/)

skywagon 08-17-2009 11:06 AM

Re: 12 Volt Battery

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 209253)
I wouldn't worry about the traction battery simply on the basis of it not showing a full charge. Not having the energy screens in my NAV display (Canadian version:() I can't say what the battery readings are typically supposed to be there. HOwever, using the MFD on the dashboard, the battery almost never will show full, unless you've just gone down a very long very steep hill (ie. in the mountains). My battery display typically fills up to the minus sign in the picture, with the top area left empty.

:D:D
Due to the desighn the system will never show 100% full or less than 1/4 empty. this is for maximum battery life of 8-15 years on the traction. full charge or full discharge would be early retirement for this battery.

rburt07 08-17-2009 01:09 PM

The top area of your battery display is the 20% left for braking. Braking down a 16% mountain or using the brake position on the selector. I have found using the braking selection works better at slower speeds like 35 mph or slower. It in many cases it adds in the brakes which adds wear if you going faster.

rmorrow 08-19-2009 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by skywagon (Post 209255)
:D:D
Due to the desighn the system will never show 100% full or less than 1/4 empty. this is for maximum battery life of 8-15 years on the traction. full charge or full discharge would be early retirement for this battery.

Agreed. I understand that the battery is never totally charged or discharged - I was just clarifying that on the display, it will typically never show full (which really means 80%) unless you've used up all of your regenerative braking to do so.