12volt Battery Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12volt Battery Update

Originally Posted by belbe
OK...take a deep breath here....I may have killed my 12v battery! We were gone for 10 days and the car was left in cold weather (colder than I expected to be) and we got several inches of snow. Unfortunately, it appears that somehow one of the map lights was left on while we were gone as when I went to start the car today I couldn't even open the doors.. Finally, after some struggle we got the mechanical key to work (it takes 2 hands to turn it far enough to the right to get it to click) but the car didn't want to start at all. We did finally get it started by jumping from the other car, but since it was so frozen over with snow I coudn't take it anywhere then so we left it for about an hour. It was the second time of trying to get it to go that I discovered that the map light was on. I took it for a run of about 3 miles to the store and when I came out about 20 minutes later I could get the trunk and door open with the smart key but it still wouldn't start. My hubby came down to jump the car again (I had not read any of the battery posts here as I have been gone!) and it took a bit longer to get the car going this time...I took it for a 20 mile run and now we have it on a battery charger and now I have read this set of posts...

According to the toyotaiguide it is ok to jump the vehicle from another one but I couldn't find anything about using a charger to help bring it back up to speed. I sure hope that if it is dead it doesn't cost the $800+ that was quoted here earlier...I was planning on going to Sears for a replacement if it was dead...I'll let you know tomorrow if we got it charged up ok.

I did talk to my Toyota dealer service manager and he didn't say anything about if it was dead that I had to get a special battery or anything. I have googled to see if I could find any info but no luck yet.

Barb
The battery will most likely be ok, just do not charge it at more than 2 amps, a milliamp floater battery tender works the best for the Glass matt batteries. I am very surprised the ICE did not charge it up, must have been real dead.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
The battery will most likely be ok, just do not charge it at more than 2 amps, a milliamp floater battery tender works the best for the Glass matt batteries. I am very surprised the ICE did not charge it up, must have been real dead.
We/my husband is trickle charging it...he wanted to do it just to be sure...he will also check it with his volt meter...don't know why he didn't do that before he started with the charger...oh well. Tomorrow I will venture out 'on my own' but he will be a phone call away and will come rescue me if I get stalled at Target or the fabric store...that is if the car gets stalled. I can easily get stalled shopping!

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Lesson learned: becareful NOT to accidently hit the map lights when hauling stuff out of the front passenger seat from the driver's seat!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Not sure this applies to the TCH. It's listed as 2007 Camry. It could be an easy fix to your problem though. See attached.
HUMMM...This makes sense as to why I may not have been able to get the car started at the grocery store. I don't think I closed the driver's door which would have kept the starting system from being reinitialized. When you think about it, when you are doubtful about the car starting, you don't always close the driver's door! When I finally did close it (because it was COLD outside!) it did start! Amazing!

Hubby says that it appears that battery is recharged. Will take it out later on a shopping expedition and give it the full test.

WHEW!

UPDATE: All appears to be well with the battery. Had no trouble starting with several stops on the day's shopping trip.

Last edited by belbe; 12-30-2006 at 04:45 PM. Reason: updated
Old 12-31-2006, 02:00 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

belbe — I'm glad to hear that your 12-volt battery appears to have survived its complete discharge without serious damage! That's one of the features of the AGM-type of battery, and probably why Toyota are using it in their hybrids. Yes, just trickle charge it at a current of no more than 5 amperes until it's fully charged. It's a 48 ampere-hour battery, so at 5 amperes, this would take around 10 hours. You may not have charged it for long enough the first time. Also, when driving, Toyota limit the charging current to a safe level, while monitoring the battery's temperature. So, expect to have to drive for some hours to fully charge a completely discharged 12-volt battery. Do let us know if the battery gives any further trouble.

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 01-01-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling.