4 mph - does it do any difference.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 4 mph - does it do any difference.

i posted before that my - and some other member here too - speedo is off by 4mph. at 44 mph on speedo, real speed is 40, tested by gps.
i finally relaized what it does to mpg.
ok, many areas in the country have 40 mph speed limit, right? very common.
say, i am coasting at 41 mph. Emode should stay on, correct? or even at 40mph.
in reality, i am dragging at 36 mph and am menace to drivers behind me.

ok, so i am nice to drivers behind me, and aware of 4mph offset on my speedo. i bring speed up to 45mph on speedo, which is, in reality, 41 vehicle speed.

but my TCH thinks i am above the magic 42mph limit, and kicks out of Emode.

i guess by now, you got the point. you either dragging, or lowering your mpg.

oh, what's that? go get it adjusted by dealer? and who's gonna pay for it?

Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4 mph - does it do any difference.

When I go into the dealer to procure parts for my navigation E7011 install--I will ask if they can actually calibrate the speedo or not.

Otherwise, see my other post regarding going to a taller tire to correct the offset. 215/70/16s make it pretty close to even if my memory serves me correct.

-Mike

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM

mike, i really appreciate good Samaritan offer. this is not the point though.
for starters, i can ask dealer myself, no big deal. i seriously doubt they will cover this under warranty though.
next, i have maybe 10 000 miles on set of absolutely positively stock size and good quality rims and tires, Yokohamas. why in the world will i dump another 400 bucks into a different set of tires because it has faulty speedometer?
why am i *****ing then? because like i said before - it's the question of principle. cars should not have that much offset on speedo. some nice person even posted an "encouraging" link to an article on how most of the cars nowadays have faulty speedos. well, dang, my Silverado is spot on speedo and gps.
i'll swing by my dealer tomorrow and talk to them. i have another bug to fix anyway - my climate controls always start in "recirc" for some dumm reason. unless, like they say about Windows7 - it's not a bug, it's a feature.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 AM

ok, went to a dealer. spoke with a quite nice guy, Dan. here's the thing. Toyota is allowed 3-5 miles per hour speedo discrepancy. that's it. basically, at 40mph speed limit, you can shove it.

also, as of my recirc button issue. he had some customer who was very allergic to outside air driving. they chose to keep their vents in recirc mode all the time. apparently, for them, they held recirc button for about 5 seconds and that "plugged it in". i tried same on mine, did not work. it still comes up automatically every time i turn engine on.

and this sums up my questions.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will be sure to tell them my speedo is 6 mph off when I go in...

Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM

ha-ha, stupid learns off his own mistakes, wise - off others' ones.

beware, that they will charge you for "testing", which involves taking ur TCH, getting her out on freeway, locating mile markers, and checking speedo. as hi-tech as it gets.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wont be paying anything. I'm under warranty.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Pragmatist

Federal standards in the United States allowed a maximum 5% error on speedometer readings, according to wikipedia. It is not only displaying higher mph than true, it is also very likely recording extra miles on the odometer.

5% of 40 mph is only 2 mph. Yours is off by about 10%. So, they should recalibrate it.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
...i have another bug to fix anyway - my climate controls always start in "recirc" for some dumm reason. unless, like they say about Windows7 - it's not a bug, it's a feature.
see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/158778-post14.html

Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

You only worried about the mph... Wow did you miss something... Being 5 - 10 % off in mph also says they are off in distance, so if we make a small assumption as I don't know exactly how it effects distance (I think it means the same thing though). So after 36000 miles 5 % = 1800 miles short and 10% means 3600 miles short. So we in reality our 36000 mile warranty is only some where between 32400 - 34200 miles... Now if we multiply that by some number of cars (total sold in US as an example). Makes a difference on their bottom line doesn't it... Aren't they so nice....

Quick Reply: 4 mph - does it do any difference.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands