42 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 42 mph

well, it was a harsh morning.

rain, of course, what's new here in Pac NW.

traffic, because no one knows how to drive here when it rains, nothing new either.

and my eyes glued to scangauge AND energy screen... i have no memory of how i drove to work, it was so distracting.

anyhow.

ICE shows RPMs on scangauge most of the time. the only time there are none, is in E-mode.
surprisingly, assuming that it's an idle spin by MG-s, and there is no fuel supply to ICE, it does not slow down TCH in free roll. or, at least, it is not noticeable.
B-mode rolling down the hill kicks RPMs into 3500+. apparently, that's the noise that is heard in B-mode, not MG noise, like i thought before.

with my 1st gen scangauge, i have really no means to find out if ICE is taking any gas when rolling at 60mph/RPMs showing/engine showing as off on energy screen.
reason being, my FPR - fuel pressure reading on scangauge - does not pick up any ECU data for fuel pressure. with engine working or not - it's blank. can't help.

i tried TPS reading - throttle position sensor, hoping to see if ECU opens throttle in free roll, but that reading never goes below 16. that did not help either.

best i could do is to go around this and look at LOD - load reading. this is the one that is supposed to show how much load engine has when driving. otherwise, if engine is working/using fuel/producing power.
so here's the thing about that reading.
LOD does show some sort of load every time ICE shows RPMs. load goes down to zero only when RPMs zero out. does it mean that ICE is actually using gas - i do not know. it is more question to scangauge people.

otherwise, voltage shows initially at 14.7V and slowly goes down to about 13.8, whatever that means.

i guess, it's just a bunch of meaningless numbers, i do not think this model is any good to pick ECU's brains. works good on my truck though. i'll remove it later today, it is SUPER distracting.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Pragmatist

Please, Please! When you are driving you should be looking out the window, not looking at the gauges or displays. A quick glance, sure. But actually staring at the gauges is very dangerous.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

steve, u r right! i did not pay much attention to it driving home.
but here's the thing. there's a famous expression - curiosity killed the cat. not many know its full version:
curiosity killed the cat
but satisfaction brought it back!

where else can one see 9999mpg if not on scangauge, whilst rolling down a hill?