Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Antenna Locations and interference (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/antenna-locations-interference-13722/)

meerkat 05-26-2007 07:48 AM

Antenna Locations and interference

O.K. since I am the leader in stupid questions all add one for the three day weekend.

Are both the NAV and the radio antennas' in the rear glass? Or are they somewhere else? My radio is weak (both AM & FM) and every so often gets high squealing noises.

I was thinking about adding a supplemental antenna if possible but would prefer not too if I can fix the radio reception. NAV seems to work fine.

I added HID/Xenon lights to the car and they are really nice (i think). A great improvement to the halogen color on the roadway out here. Only problem is that I think they may be "bleeding" signal/power? a bit since when on - weak radio reception is even worse. However, the lights actually run cooler than halogen and draw less power.

mikieboyblue 05-26-2007 09:51 AM

Re: Antenna Locations and interference

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 126536)
I added HID/Xenon lights to the car and they are really nice (i think). A great improvement to the halogen color on the roadway out here. Only problem is that I think they may be "bleeding" signal/power? a bit since when on - weak radio reception is even worse. However, the lights actually run cooler than halogen and draw less power.

Not sure about the attenna, but what HIDs did you install? I just got the windows tinted and the next step is HID installation. Do you happen to ahve photos of the install? (Yes I know there are other posts about this -- since you did I figure you would have some insight.)

Thanks,
Mike

schmidtj 05-26-2007 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 126536)
O.K. since I am the leader in stupid questions all add one for the three day weekend.

Are both the NAV and the radio antennas' in the rear glass? Or are they somewhere else? My radio is weak (both AM & FM) and every so often gets high squealing noises.

I was thinking about adding a supplemental antenna if possible but would prefer not too if I can fix the radio reception. NAV seems to work fine.

The NAV/GPS antenna is located in the center of the dash up near the front windshield.

Edit: Removed reference to any visible NAV/GPS antenna.

meerkat 05-29-2007 05:59 PM

It must be embedded into the dash since I see nothing to make me think an antenna exists. I see the little dome for the light system but nothing else. Also, why the fuss on the "metallic" tinting? If the NAV antenna is NOT in/at the rear window then there should be no issue with tinting (unless you are tinting your windshield!!).

Actually I find the HID/xenons will add interference to very distant or weak stations but anything else (good station signal, CD, etc) there is no issue.

I got the HID/xenons on eBay for about $125 total. The seller has a good rating and I polled other users and they are happy. Install was o.k. but you had to use the holding bracket for the combo starter/ballast since there is no 2stick tape as they advertise.

Took all of about 30 minutes and had very minor modification on the supplied connector (not anything on the TCH thanks goodness) where the plug is a bit tight and connectivity is not full. You REALLY want to make sure your connectors are plugged tight. This could also be my problem that the connectors (a little cheap) could be bleeding a bit. Maybe I'll try to solder the harness connectors and splice a better plug in?

Anyway, I'll try to get some pics up after my turn signal mirros get here ! :D