Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Anyone want to buy my TCH Clunker? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/anyone-want-buy-my-tch-clunker-22344/)

haroldo 08-11-2009 05:05 AM

Anyone want to buy my TCH Clunker?

Chevrolet Volt Said to Get 230 Miles Per Gallon in City Driving

By Katie Merx

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?p...d=iFyaiFf1A4do

Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co. expects its Volt electric car to earn a fuel-economy rating of at least 230 miles per gallon for city driving, more than four times that of Toyota Motor Corp.’s Prius hybrid, people familiar with the plans said.
Chief Executive Officer Fritz Henderson will announce the rating and combined city-highway mileage of more than 100 mpg today at a new-vehicle exhibition at GM’s technical center in Warren, Michigan, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the details aren’t public.
The Volt will receive “a higher number than anyone would expect,” GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, 77, said by e-mail yesterday. He wouldn’t say what the mileage will be.
GM said in September it reached an agreement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on a testing method that would yield a rating of at least 100 mpg for the Volt, which will be able to go 40 miles (64 kilometers) on battery power before tapping an onboard gasoline engine for a recharge.
The EPA hasn’t signed off on the 230 city mileage rating, one of the people said. Adora Andy, an agency spokeswoman, didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment after regular business hours.
GM is counting on unproven technology to leapfrog the Prius, the world’s best-selling hybrid, which starts at $22,000. Lutz said in May that the Volt would probably cost about $40,000. ...
Read more at Bloomberg

Intrus 08-11-2009 08:27 AM

Re: Anyone want to buy my TCH Clunker?

230mpg is great... but it's a GM so will it get through the first gallon before breaking down?

BOFH 08-11-2009 08:43 AM

The EPA ratings used to be a semi-valid way of comparing fuel economy between cars. But now with different technology (ie. non ICE) the current testing methodology is no longer truly valid. It starts to be like video card benchmarks a few years back, where the manufacturers tuned the cards/drivers to provide fantastic test scores while in real use were nowhere near that. (Did the Ford designers choose 47mph as a max EV mode speed because there is a part of the EPA test that is run at 45mph and they get a MPG boost in the EPA ratings?)

It is going to take many years for the EPA to adjust their testing methodology to truly provide a way to compare fuel economy on hybrids/EV vehicles. In the meantime the manufacturers are going to take advantage of the system for as long as they can.

haroldo 08-11-2009 08:51 AM

MPG is pretty much meaningless for a car like the Volt.
Best to not confuse the public and keep it simple...
40 Miles per charge and 300 miles per tank.
Other information truly presents a confusing picture...
"...Hmmm, if I get 230 miles per gallon and the tank holds 10 gallons (I don't know the capacity), then I can drive round trip to Florida on one tank of gas"...

Useless information...government regulations at its best!

GreenRedTCH 08-11-2009 12:18 PM

Can't blame the government for changing technology. Besides corporations are no different. Years ago during the first oil crunch (ca. 1973) Ford decided to do a "mileage test" by driving one of their land yacht LTD's from Flagstaff Arizona to Phoenix (there were no EPA numbers back then). They made a great deal of cheer and hurray about their whopping 20 MPG. Of course what they neglected to tell the public was that you can coast on a skateboard the whole distance (The elevation drop is over a mile IIRC). But of course we all know that only the government is crooked and corporations are always as honest as the day is long.

haroldo 08-11-2009 12:40 PM

But of course we all know that only the government is crooked and corporations are always as honest
In this age of hyper aggressive litigation, corporations can't take the risk of playing with numbers. Not saying it doesn't happen, but with the speed of the internet and 'jackpot justice' (get a good ole boy judge in Mississippi) you'll be writing class action settlement checks till your wrist falls off.

rburt07 08-12-2009 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 208752)
MPG is pretty much meaningless for a car like the Volt.
Best to not confuse the public and keep it simple...
40 Miles per charge and 300 miles per tank.
Other information truly presents a confusing picture...
"...Hmmm, if I get 230 miles per gallon and the tank holds 10 gallons (I don't know the capacity), then I can drive round trip to Florida on one tank of gas"...

Useless information...government regulations at its best!

I saw something mentioned about after the 40 miles then the engine takes over. I think it charges the batteries and also propels the car. The person mentioned that top speed during this time may be around 40 mph to get you back home.

rburt07 08-12-2009 03:10 AM

Here are some gas price figures I did. I used $3 per gallon as that may be where were headed in the future. To keep it simple, i'm doing this as if the Volt was a all-electric car. I did include the cost of gas for the 230 mpg volt. I hope I did this correctly.

15000 miles, average yearly driving.

500 gallons @ 30 mpg, used by many gas powered cars. (65.21 gallons for the volt)

................(compare $195 volt)..............(compare $391 volt)
$1500 per year or $7500 for 5 years saved or $15000 for 10 years.

I did this when I heard about the extreme gas mileage of the Volt. I wanted to see how much a total gas savings would be vs the high price of the car. The $7500 tax incentive is nice to have.

07CamHybrid 08-12-2009 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07 (Post 208829)
Here are some gas price figures I did. I used $3 per gallon as that may be where were headed in the future. To keep it simple, i'm doing this as if the Volt was a all-electric car. I did include the cost of gas for the 230 mpg volt. I hope I did this correctly.

15000 miles, average yearly driving.

500 gallons @ 30 mpg, used by many gas powered cars. (65.21 gallons for the volt)

................(compare $195 volt)..............(compare $391 volt)
$1500 per year or $7500 for 5 years saved or $15000 for 10 years.

I did this when I heard about the extreme gas mileage of the Volt. I wanted to see how much a total gas savings would be vs the high price of the car. The $7500 tax incentive is nice to have.

But... how much does it cost to plug that car in and charge it in each day?

haroldo 08-12-2009 05:41 AM

...the cost to recharge the Volt will be $0.85, and the range for 2007 will be from 48 cents to $1.34 depending where you live...

Chevy Volt: Reasons For Use and Cost Of Operation